Monday, March 23, 2020

Adventures In ... I'm Sick Of This Title, Aren't You?

Raspberries galore!

No, not in the grocery stores, though I can't attest to that, having stayed away. These are the kinds I make in my mouth for bad behavior. I do it from the safety - for me and them - of my living room. I don't care to share microbes, from either direction.

You're welcome.

First, to Sen. Rand Paul. After finding out he was exposed to covid 19, he got tested. BUT while waiting for results, he mingled and mingled and mingled.... Now he's tested positive. I'm not even sure I should feel relieved that most of his mingling occurred among Republican Senators. We'll still need a quorum to pass necessary legislation. So P-p-p-p-f-f-f-f-f-t-t-t-t-t-t-t! Twice!

Second, to those thousands and thousands in this area who figured out the only way to aleviate their cabin fever was to go out on the hiking trails with 5,000 of their closest ... uh ... germ wagons over this weekend. TV footage shows there was absolutely no possibility of maintaining two feet of distance between hikers.

Wait. What? Six feet? P-p-p-p-f-f-f-f-t-t-t-t-t-t-t! I'd offer to do it 5,000 times, but haven't the energy any more.

I just vacuumed the living room, after all.

 FYI the vacuum is currently parked in the living room where I can see it because I don't have to feel guilty about not vacuuming any more. Although, I can now look at it and feel guilty about not emptying the canister again, since it's half full. OK, OK, I told you the living room needed vacuuming, didn't I? Well, I vacuumed it, so there.

Turned on the TV this morning because that's what I do. Arizona stats are really climbing now, and our (Republican, don'cha know) Governor hasn't yet given the stay-home order, though he has written the feds begging for assistance in controlling the virus. Schools are closed and no groups more than 10. 10? What good is that? We need to  quit this stupidity. Soon, I hope. Though I have to go pick up a prescription refill soon. Been postponing that in favor of... whatever. Any which whatever. On the plus side, I may not need to find the drive-up window after all, because I also am thinking about applesauce. Yep, once thwarted, twice obsessed. And while I'm there, see if TP has arrived, and eggs, and the summer sausage they carry, bananas, milk, and, hmmm, ice cream is getting low....

I won't bother looking for hand sanitizer. I ordered some about ten days ago through Amazon, and it's been shipped. Guaranteed to be here, uhh, let's see... mid May! Yee-haaaaaa!

*    *    *    *    *

Post-shopping observations:

My route to Walmart passes a school. Though closed, I found myself obeying the flashing speed limit sign, wondering as I did whether it was sillier that it was still flashing or that I was paying attention. Probably always better to be safe.

I always pass a couple banks and credit unions. While my CU in MN has let me know repeatedly they are only open for drive-through or electronic banking, the ones down here seem to be doing a booming walk-in business. Hey, but no germs on money, eh? What, really? Dang! I'll have to quit spending it.

Shopper levels are down a bit, if the ability to find a spot in the shade in Arizona is any indication. I did drive around the store first, to find that pharmacy drive-through. They located it on the north end, about as far in any direction away from the pharmacy as it's possible to get in that store. It had a line though. Adding that to my having a list of other things, I parked in the lot and went in for all of it.

While you still can't buy hand sanitizer in the store, there is a prominent display near the carts for hand and cart wipes. For my first time, I used them. For both. Well, technically, I used three. That's how many pulled out before disconnecting from the dispenses. Best not to waste. They'd just dry out waiting for the next customer. Right?

There were three people I saw with masks on. Gotta wonder if they're sick and trying not to spread it? Or still think it will protect them from the rest of us, just in case?

I did find what I thought I would on my list. Butter was in, slight surprise. TP not. No shock there. I asked a clerk when they might get that in. It comes around 2 PM daily. People start to line up by the shipping / delivery door around 1 PM. The ice cream in my cart, plus my personal inclinations, nixed that kind of wait. Lucky I don't need any yet. Butter, eggs, milk, applesauce and summer sausage were available. Eggs were the only ones with "limit 1" signs. Good thing they meant cartons and not eggs. I did get two hand of bananas since that rack was full and some were overripe. While many of the spaces for processed meats, i.e. lunch meats, hot dogs, etc., there was a large stack of summer sausages so I didn't feel guilty about getting two of them also. It's hard in normal times to find more than two or three in the store, and often none , so it was an unexpected bounty.

Once home, the freezer didn't quite have space for the ice cream. I made the ultimate sacrifice and finished up the old one to make room. Ahhhhhhhhh....

Hard times, my way.

Just heard, the our great-grandson is on the way to the hospital to get born.

No comments: