Sunday, March 29, 2020

Adventures In CaronavirusLand, Episode (Lucky) 13

Cutting to the chase: Steve's just gotten home. There will be follow-ups in the next couple weeks, one to remove a stent. Now, instead of being unable to pass that giant kidney stone, he's passing the bits remaining from after lithotripsy. He assures me it's still not fun. And it should last for several days.

Meanwhile, the house got very empty while he was gone. Rich was here for a bit, doing multiple loads of laundry. I had a chance to support Steve's favorite restaurant by ordering a pair of taco salads for our supper before taking him back to the shelter. The restaurant is still hanging in there, hoping to continue with just three staff and only take-out orders.

My elephant agave turns out not to be an elephant agave. OOPS. I decided to research propagation again, making sure I actually knew what I thought I knew. Other than the name, I got the rest right. What prompted my research is that the stalk is actually blooming, waiting for bees to notice and visit. Packed jam full of little pale yellow waxy flowers, stamens hanging out to spread pollen about, they cover a patch of the stalk right now about two foot of its length, starting about a foot up above where the buds start. For some reason the bottom ones haven't opened yet. Plus there are about 8 feet of unopened buds above the flowers.

After reading about my real plant, I've started asking around for potential "parents" for some of the babies. There should be hundreds, perhaps over a thousand. Once they grow on the stalk to something over an inch around (descriptions are a bit vague here) and can be easily plucked off the stalk, they need to be planted lightly in cactus soil, watered every few days until they grow roots, then planted in the yard where they have room to spread to about a 6' circle, in partial shade. They still need TLC in the watering department for a few months. And smarter people than I will avoid planting them under the roof eaves. I figure I can find half a dozen places for babies in our yard, found one friend who thinks she can take a few, and the rest likely will be donated to garden centers who are willing to trade some of their supplies and work for income.

Eggs before they hatch, eh.

Watching the covid numbers in AZ, they almost haven't budged so far this weekend. I highly doubt that's from people staying home, but from the government agencies reporting the stats being closed. I mean, hey, Arizona. The woman in charge of handling the crisis just resigned, with a letter saying she's just a duplicate of what the Governor and his staff are doing. She also made a comment about him far exceeding his job in what he's doing. Gotta be more to this story.

Meanwhile, been busy on line and via phone, letting people know what I did or didn't know yet about Steve's status. His surgery was scheduled for 11:00 yesterday. He finally called me at 5:30. A bit of that was a delay in the schedule, but the rest was recovery. A rough one. This is his second time recently he's had a rough one after surgery, the other being for his back pain-killer implant. There's a lot of rapid heartbeats and vomiting, not how anybody should wake up.

But, most important, he's home now. Recovering, catching up on Facebook, TV, and likely sleep, knowing how hospitals are.

No comments: