Monday, August 30, 2010

What You Say

My granddaughter saw the engagement ring this weekend, and exactly as I predicted, said, "Oh, that's so cute!"

Um, yeah. Sure. Glad you liked it. I guess. Now excuse me a minute while I go dig that squeal out of my ear so I can hear again.

It occurs to me, from this and from another conversation we had, that she's lacking in ideas for what to say to people at various times. While I'm not energetic enough to try to cover all situations, I'd like to offer up ideas for what to say when a compliment is expected. It could be about anything: hair, jewelry, a piece of artwork, somebody's ugly new baby. "Cute" in a high-pitched squeal just doesn't do the job.

Trust me.

I could have used a list like this many years ago, during my most embarrassing moment ever. A compliment was expected, deserved, in fact, but by the time it was my turn, all the good ones had been used. And I just had to, had to say something unique. (Think of it as a disease.) What came out was an insult, and no, I'm still too embarrassed about it all these years later to say just what it was. It was, however, definitely unique. And those people don't speak to me still, though they had plenty to say at the time.

So, whether you like something or not, try some of these next time:

Oh, that's beautiful!
Wow!
That's just so you!
Wow, that's so unique: I never would have thought of it.
Impressive!
That must have been so much work!
However did you find it?
Boy, that sure makes a statement!
It's good that you're so sensible.
You get such interesting ideas!
I could never get away with wearing that.
Those colors work so well on you.
You're so lucky to have straight/curly/red/blonde/thick/whatever hair like that.
You certainly have a flair/talent/eye for these things.
Leave it to you to come up with something so imaginative.
You're just so creative.
You're just so brave.
Wow, is she tiny!
He sure can sleep soundly!
Wow, what a good set of lungs!
Look how she's grown!

No comments: