Friday, August 13, 2010

Coming Out

No, not me! I'm completely straight, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm talking about my favorite morning radio show host, Stephanie Miller, who came out today on her show. I admit to being one of those completely naive people who had no idea that she was gay, not even after she was chosen to lead the Gay Pride Parade a while back. I figured it was just an honor given to gay-supporters on occasion. And perhaps it is.

A lot of different pieces fell into different places today, as callers spent the next two hours talking about it. One commented about Keith Olbermann now being able to be relaxed around her, after years of her schtick about a very lengthy "Future Husbands List", on which he featured prominently. Apparently he hadn't been sure just how much of that was comedy, or perhaps it was just one of his staffers who took the bit a little too seriously. But we listeners knew from the length of the list and the ineligibility of most of the men on it, due to marriage, that it was pure comedy - and a high compliment to the men so named. Every one of them had done or said something to gain her admiration in the political arena.

Now that she's out, I believe it's time to start a "Future Wives List". The qualifications should be the same. The women should be liberal, at least as good looking as Dennis Kucinich, active in the political arena, and just as unlikely as anyone named as a future husband to ever actually connect with Stephanie either romantically or sexually.

I felt so strongly about the idea that I emailed her about it tonight when I got home.

I also applied to be put on the list. Hey, there'd be nowhere for her to go from there but up.

No comments: