Wednesday, August 4, 2010

$end More Money

Those of you who know me, know that I don't Facebook. So somebody who does needs to communicate between someone else who does and me when there's a message needing to be sent when Facebook is the only medium.

Confused? Don't let it bother you.

My daughter left me a message from my granddaughter, who's currently in Cambodia, getting ready for the final week of her southeast Asia Rustic Pathways experience. If you've been following this blog, you may remember that there was a trust left to be spent on her that sponsored this trip, that it was cashed out and the balance given to her before we both left on our separate vacations this summer, and that her luggage was lost on her way over. (Incidentally, it's still lost and the form that was to be sent to me to finalize the claim has apparently gotten just as lost. I wonder if I can submit a claim on that as well!)

All caught up? OK, the message was that she needs more money, and could somebody please send some to her account with Rustic Pathways? It seems that replacing her wardrobe from the missing suitcase got a wee bit costly.

Wow! Really? A $grand gone just like that? Just what do clothes cost over there anyway? Yikes!

I put in a call to her other grandmother, the one I was told is holding the balance of her trust funds for her until she returns, to explain our granddaughter's request. Her reaction was much like mine, with the additional query of why on earth she still needs more money? So I got to explain that there will be at least two different airlines wanting their "checked baggage" fee, and presumably she needs to get all that new merchandise home. (Unless somebody loses it, too.) Then, since she'll be traveling for about 24 hours, there'll be the need to purchase food. Grandma got the picture, took the phone number from me to contact Rustic Pathways, and hung up to make the call to start the process.

There was just one little hitch, however. She wasn't holding the cash balance of the trust for Jordan. Jordan took it with her on the trip.

Wow! Really? $1700 gone just like that? Just what do clothes cost over there anyway? Yikes!

I called Jordan's father to bring him up to speed. I actually wasn't anticipating an actual connection with him, figuring I'd leave voicemail on his cell. But he surprised me by answering. He also surprised me by informing me he'd given Jordan a hundred dollars to help tide her over on her trip when he saw her just before she left.

Wow! Really! $1800 gone just like that? Just what do clothes cost over there anyway? Yikes!

I do hope she had fun, though.

No comments: