Saturday, March 12, 2011

Eggregious Quotation Marks

They say the pen is mightier than the sword. These days I suspect the semi-automatic holds that distinction, but the pen - or keyboard - is still my weapon of choice. It seems also the be the weapon of choice for Matt Silver, the editor/owner of our local county Rah-Rah Rag, the Chisago County Press.

You might recall my last appearance before the local city council. Mr. Silver was there as the reporter for the paper. Curious as to how it would get reported, since I've heard reports of goings-on at other meetings that have been ignored in the press, I bought a copy of the paper this week. Let's just say my low expectations were met. No, I wasn't ignored in the coverage, just made to sound like a nut. Let's start with a headline which had nothing whatsoever to do with the meeting itself. True, we do have openings which need filling - and advertising - on some of our commissions. But not a word on them was spoken at the meeting. So, interesting choice.

Mr. Silver also fails to note how hot under the collar the Mayor tends to get when questioned. While this wasn't one of his more notorious public tantrums, his comments still are made to sound calm and reasonable. City council meetings in various towns were not always reported with such lack of comment on emotionality by this paper.

But it's his last sentence about my comments that's gotten me annoyed. Had he reported it straight, I'd have no complaint, since it states what I said. But he had to go and dress it up with eggregious quotation marks. It reads as follows: Rosa asked if the citizens of Shafer should be "worried".

Wow.

How dismissive.

Can't you just see me up there smirking and using air quotes? Didn't happen. It was a serious query on a potentially serious topic.

If you don't think eggregious quotation marks change anything, lend a slant to the facts, let's try a few variations on a simple sentence and see how they make you react. The original way , the way I think it, is this: Matt, I used to have more respect for the paper when it was owned by your father, John Silver.

But then there are these:

Matt, I used to have more "respect" for the paper when it was owned by your father, John Silver.
Matt, I used to have more respect for the "paper" when it was owned by your father, John Silver.
Matt, I used to have more respect for the paper when it was "owned" by your father, John Silver.
Matt, I used to have more respect for the paper when it was owned by your "father", John Silver.

It's a simple declarative sentence, but each variation renders a different insult. All because of four little marks on the paper which, used this way, completely change the meaning of what is written. I personally think the original sentence conveys exactly what I mean and needs no dressing up.

But now, Mr. Silver, I pose a question for you. Note it is a question, not a statement. I would like an answer. I am genuinely curious to hear what it would be. There is a rumor going around - small towns again with their rumors, eh? - that the reason you never report anything unfavorable about what happens in our town is because you are buddy-buddy with our Mayor, and further, that he provides his professional services to you either free or at reduced prices, depending on who is repeating the rumor. So, Matt, is it a rumor? Or a "rumor"?

And is "conflict of interest" a term that has meaning in the newspaper business, or is that just in politics?

No comments: