Wednesday, March 30, 2011

And Now, Fed Ex

Yesterday's blog wasn't the end of the story. Lifeline's letter accompanying the label gave instructions telling me to call Fed Ex about a free-to-me pick up of the box at my door. It gave me the toll-free number, and told me what kind of a delivery to tell them I had for them.

It forgot one tiny little item.

I tried the toll-free number in the morning before leaving. It must be a very busy time for them, since I would have had to wait longer than I had time for, trying as I was to get out the door to visit Daddy in the local hospital before work. I took the letter with me to call later in the day when I had time, leaving the package outside in the entryway for easy access. On my third try I got through easily, getting someone on the line who's speech/accent was something I could actually understand. As I explained what I needed, she asked me for the middle set of numbers on the barcode on the shipping label.

Now that was going to be a problem, since the box was home and I wasn't. I needed to call back, with the label right in front of me. Otherwise I could arrange pickup, but without that number, I'd have to pay for it. With what I consider remarkable restraint, I explained that after waiting months for that label so we could get the promised free shipping, there was no way I was going to pay for that package myself. I'd call back, thank you.

Gee, thanks for that tidbit of info, Lifeline. Guess your box will be a day later, awwww shucks.

Last night I called back, this time getting a guy with an accent so thick you could cut it with a chain saw. After asking him to slow down, I managed to understand all but every third word, or enough to handle the transaction with much repetition of numbers back and forth for confirmation.

Whew.

One more thing checked off the never-shrinking list.

No comments: