Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hyundai #5

This morning I decided finally that I should start the process of replacing the car. It has been a week, now, and while there has been no urgency as far as still being able to work is concerned, it's still cold out and the Buick's heater still sucks. Besides, I've suspected I've smelled radiator fluid a couple of times these last couple days. So I don't trust it.

I went on line, and after working to refine my search parameters a few times so I could actually locate my top choice, used Hyundai Accent hatchbacks, I wound up at a site that actually let me search used cars by type and distance. Lo and behold, a Chevy dealership up in Monticello had a 2008 with just over 16,000 miles on it for under $9G.

WOW!

Of course, it was red, and my company insists on white, but paint is cheap, right? If that one didn't work out, there were a couple out in Wisconsin, one yellow and one white, both more expensive.

But wait a minute, what was wrong with the red car that it would go at that price? First, I better check that it was still available. It was. I could come in for a test drive this afternoon. They needed to plow the lot, and they could pull it inside to melt the snow, etc., by then.

Then I called my credit union to see if I could afford to finance it. They're running a deal on auto financing right now: give them the info over the phone this morning and they'll call back sometime this afternoon and let me know if I qualify. Let's see, you have this other auto loan right now? Yep, that's the one the insurance will pay off. And your credit card balances are ____ and _____? Near enough. And your mortgage? What, none? She took more information with the promise to let me know. The call came back in less than an hour. Like juries, I figured that was either very good or very bad news. Luckily it was good, but they'd only finance it for 36 months, at a monthly rate over $50 below what I've been paying on the last car. Hey, no problem!

The next hurdle was heading up to Monticello to see if I could find a glitch in the 2008 car at the great price. (When I talked to the credit union they'd let slip the value of the car was more than $1300 over the asking price, and that even with my not being sure of some of the features of the car. Power windows? Sunroof? Who knew?) After checking under the hood, kicking the tires, and sitting in it to familiarize myself with the controls, out we went for a spin.

It was like my old car all new again only better. For one thing, this car has satellite radio built in. Once I check it out, if I want to sign up, I can listen to Stephanie Miller no matter how far out into Wisconsin I drive any morning. Right now, I can barely catch the AM station carrying her show from my driveway, never mind heading out further from the cities.

And I love the red color. I've had to drive white cars for 25 years now, and I'm sick sick sick of white! For a few days at least I get to drive a red car! For yes, I did sign, found an even better deal financing, and have a cute little red Hyundai - my 5th- sitting in my driveway tonight. In a few days I'll start finding out just how cheap a white paint job is.

No hurry.

No comments: