Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

I popped over to my daughter's blog and found quite an interesting twist on Valentine's Day.

I've always loved the day, or the idea behind it. Romance is fun and wonderful. It's also rare as heck, and I'm very luck to be in a relationship with a romantic. Back in those dating years, Valentine's Day was always the day/week after the two of you just broke up. During those married years, the most romantic gift I remember from my hubby was a blender. It was so I could take "real" food and blend it up for the baby. Oh goody, more work. He actually had given me flowers once for something, but when the vase got tipped over into the TV where it had been sitting, he vowed never again. Now mind you, he never said a word for the two days the vase sat there before tipping about it being maybe a bad location. Once tipped, however, "I" broke his TV. It wasn't don't-put-flowers-there-again, it was I'm-never-buying-you-flowers-again. He didn't.

This year Steve and I celebrated early. We had breakfast at Eichten's, the lovely cozy restaurant at the bison and cheese place just at the edge of city limits. We sat at a little table for two placed right in front of the gas fireplace, a mighty cozy spot on a wintry day, and enjoyed the best omelettes we each could recall. We soaked up all the warmth we could, knowing the next stop was Monticello to pick up my dad's cold car and return it to my driveway. He drove in exchange for company, conversation, and my buying his gas.

I noticed on the trip over that his tires were shot, giving his car that front end side-to-side wobble that denotes a bulge. So the rest of the afternoon was spent getting him new tires at Walmart while we browsed the camera section next door at Target. I had been drooling over a tiny camcorder with a 60X optical zoom, but finally decided that it was too wobbly and blurry by the time it zoomed out that far. I'd love to have that capability with good glass on a regular camera, however. It's just not affordable.

We did luck out, however, in finding two electric shopping carts charged and ready to go when we arrived. That Target has been notorious for having only two carts, and often neither is available. Every time that happens I make a point of telling them that due to their lack of carts, I'm going over to Walmart to shop. They have half a dozen, charged and ready.

Anyway, back to today, the real holiday. I'm staying home relaxing, except for grocery shopping just long enough to restock staples and get some steaks for supper. I promised my dad a Valentine's Day steak.

Come to think of it, that means I get one too. Heck of a deal!

No comments: