Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fall Hoarfrost





Yesterday's hoarfrost may have been the most spectacular I've seen, from the viewpoint of just the ice crystals, but we had an early one last fall, when the colors were just starting to turn. I can't decide which type of shot I like better, but then, why choose?

Each shot comes from my front yard. These and the 60 or 70 rejects typically would have delayed my start to work by about 5 minutes: shoot first, sort later.

The viburnum, or highbush cranberies, cover the chain link fence from view as well as providing food and cover for a variety of birds. The euonymous, or burning bush, had just started to turn color, and within a week would be a solid vibrant hot pink. Of course by then there would be no hoarfrost. The seed pod is most likely from one of the peony bushes that line the driveway, just starting to open. A late blooming coneflower received just a kiss of frost as well.

No comments: