Fall planting is finally finished. There are still cleanup issues after we get a frost, but that's mostly cut back and collect dead stalks, with a spot of weeding once the ground is visible again. Then it's just spreading some Preen to keep new weeds from growing from seeds.
That's almost where I was before the day began. But some of my nursery-potted daylily plants going into the garden had root systems so thick they were deep round bricks, essentially. No hole in the garden's allotment of dirt could accommodate that depth of roots. They got bottom dirt removed, roots spread out as much as my hands could, and planted a bit high anyway, hardy things that they are, with a promise to them - and myself - to add topsoil just as soon as I bought some.
They are all doing well, thanks for asking. An actual rain helped.
That shopping actually happened the next day. The bag of topsoil sat inside the car hatch until this morning, providing a lumpy base for the groceries and whatever else went in there in the meantime. It is heavy after all. My surgeon would not approve my pulling it out. I don't bother to inform him that I have to lift things and carry them despite being over ten pounds. Instead I bring over the two-wheeler (nowhere near as light as 10 pounds itself) to behind the car, slide the bag of topsoil over, lift it over the lip of the hatch and give it a semi-controlled drop onto the tray of the two-wheeler. It's worked before, this summer. Then of course there's locking the car, tilting the wheeler, and pulling it across the lumpy ground to where I'm going to work with its load.
I sit in a camping chair for most of that next part. Does that count for giving my shoulders the needed break? At least those pieces and chunks are each much lighter, mostly.
In the shed is a sharp toothed saw blade. No handle was attached, nor visible anywhere. For some reason I don't actually want the answer to it's covered with a couple layers of paint, red, then white. (Huh?) The teeth cover the entire length of one side except the final inch. But I have to grab it and saw the sturdy plastic bag with it (repeatedly stroking the same piece in the plastic for each cut of course - that plastic is reallllly tough!) without donating any skin into the topsoil. Blood or other tissues either, one hopes. I do manage that part. Then I need to break up the formerly single solid chunk of topsoil, starting with a sturdy trowel and lots of leverage, into crumbs more resembling loose dirt, fill a collection of old pots and cottage cheese containers to the brims, and spread the topping over the needy garden. The eventual goal is level-ish ground, all roots covered, no topsoil saved for some imaginary future job... which otherwise translates to it taking up room in the shed in every single location that otherwise offers a flat solid spot to set one's foot safely on forever after.
Accomplishing all that is the first needed solution. Doing it despite my fears of uneven ground making me fall would be the second solution. Well, combined with not actually falling, of course. The combination is the real reason the topsoil bag has taken up semi-residence in the car for so long, I almost thought about charging it rent.
It wouldn't have helped.
An idea finally came to me, just in time for the next promised rain, likely to skip by as usual so I'd have to get outside tomorrow too, this time with a hose to settle the topsoil that still wasn't anywhere near the garden yet. Time to quit procrastinating! But maybe it would work out. The next rain disappointment coming along to nag me to get busy might not happen for weeks. It might even be snow by then. Brrrrr... no thanks!
Let's return to those containers of topsoil. I wanted them for spreading dirt in small sections around the garden, heavier in places with exposed roots, lighter when leftover dirt would be useful in nourishing next year's flowers. That in turn translates into detail work, the kind that was the final thing slowing the needed work down. I let an idea simmer for a few days, then decided today was it or else I'd have to risk falling again, or at least face the fear of it. Not absolutely sure yet which is worse.
I took the pots with their first load - the dirt really expands when hard clods are busted up - and stood outside the raised ring of concrete blocks holding everything in place. Selecting the point along the circle closest to the plant needing the most soil, fingers metaphorically crossed that it would work, I threw the dirt in the direction of the base of that plant.
It got pretty close.
Encouraged, I repeated, and repeated, and repeated on that side, then went halfway around the circle to get it from the other side for better coverage. By gum, it worked! Continuing in cycles of chop and crunch clods, fill containers, take over to the garden, aim and toss, all the dirt was finally covering the garden, mostly where desired. Some of the leaves were also covered, but this late in the season, either I could nudge them and they'd drop the dirt, or let the elements take care of it by spring. Never was a step on uneven ground needed. I figured I'd let the theoretical afternoon rain show its muscles in dirt movement, or I'd deal with the hose tomorrow.
Cleaning up the stuff scattered across the lawn to its designated niches in the shed -or garbage can - was in order, not just for neatness, but because if it didn't rain, the lawn would get mowed. Thursdays are mowing days, so regular that we tape the fee to the storm door if we're not going to be home. Our mowing lady has completed her college requirements, done substitute teaching last year, and is employed locally full time this year, so she'll swing by, pending weather, around suppertime. If I'm home I enjoy our five-minute chats when she does. It's almost enough to make me hope it doesn't rain this afternoon.
Almost.

No comments:
Post a Comment