OK, I'm sure it never really left. But it's fall, kids are starting school, people are flying back in aerial germ cans to go to work. Whatever the timing is and why for other people, I just heard from my daughter that she's just tested positive for it. We'd had plans together for next weekend. Obviously they are now cancelled. I'm hoping for "just postponed".
Just a few weeks back I'd asked my primary doc when was the best time this year for getting the latest booster for covid. Steve and I have always been first in line - or as close as possible - for every shot and booster offered. He's never tested positive. I've had it twice. One hears of new variations, possible new ways to fight it better, and hopes for the latest whatever to come on the market by some specific close date. So I ask.
Her answer was that no new protections or immunization combinations are coming out in the near future, but be sure to renew our boosters early this fall. At our ages, Medicare coves them. As for flue shots, there will be a best-guess formulation for the likely varieties out this fall, so we'll get in the line October first. Same coverage for those. There are some good things about getting old. Hey, If I made good art with my wrinkles, I'd be wealthy! Then again, maybe my contribution is to make my surgeons wealthy.
Meanwhile I sent my daughter the information I learned early in covid years about how to deal with it once you've caught it. First is paxlovid, providing that's still the best on the market and you or your insurance can cover it. About year three in the ongoing pandemic there was a sudden, poorly explained clamp down on using it. I'd just gotten my second case of covid, was told I'd have to pay for the shot myself, but simply didn't have an extra thousand in the budget. The only difference noted in my illness without paxlovid was brain fog severe enough that I didn't recognize how bad it was except in retrospect, marveling afterwards in my stupidity.
The rest of the symptoms weren't severe, unless you count long covid. I lost my senses of taste and smell for a long time. Taste came back... sort of. Mostly I still can't smell a thing. But then there'll be a few minutes in some totally random day when suddenly my nose returns for a bit. Not all comes back. Usually it's a single thing. I missed smelling fresh mown grass, but got a reprieve for a couple minutes, once. Not since. For years I couldn't smell skunk spray when Steve was overwhelmed by it as the car passed a roadkill. Then I smelled one, once. Period. It goes like that, a quick sniff of something, then quickly squelched, for good, at least so far. Skunk? Once. Bacon frying? Once, briefly. Onions being cut? Same. Get the pattern? I almost compare it to a single receptor being healed, then whatever caused it returning, with some new tactic to make sure it doesn't get "cured" again. I'm told I raise fragrant flowers in my garden. Can't prove it by me. Good thing the blossoms are lovely. The scent of gunpowder is supposed to be strong on 4th of July. Was the west wind from the wrong western direction? On the other hand, I used to hate fresh tomatoes. Something isn't there any more and I find them delicious.
I'm still trying to decide if it's a good or bad thing I can't smell my own combinations of nasty stinks. If I'm doing a good job of tamping them down, then hooray. If other people are simply being polite by not commenting, then not so much. About a year into long covid I read that my symptoms are officially on the long covid list. I'm not alone! And compared to other people's lists of long covid symptoms, I figure I'm blessed. Things could be so much worse. Barring something like a gas leak, my symptoms are not considered life threatening.
But my daughter has covid now, and while I am certainly not a medical professional of any kind and not about to suggest ivermectin or bleach for use in or on humans, or going out to sunburn your nether regions for some idiotic incomprehensible reason, I memorized a list back when of what to do at home to minimize your illness.
Much like the "Spanish flu" epidemic in the early 1900s, the worst way to get sick with covid is to have your body over-react to it. It's called a cytokine storm. The body's fight goes into overkill, harming healthy parts of you. Studies showed that it happens with covid on (at least) two fronts, each of which have over-the-counter remedies to help fight it. One is like an allergy reaction in overdrive, and cetirizine is the better allergy medication which slows that down. You can get the expensive brand name or the generic, but one, twice a day, helps prevent that reaction. (It helps that I already take that daily, and have it on hand.) The second reaction is much like the way your body reacts to something by giving you heartburn, and studies have Pepcid AC working on that reaction. It also has a generic version OTC, but don't ask me the name. I haven't needed to know for a couple years now, but mostly those generics are on shelves next to the brand name items. Read the labels.
One more easy thing helps. Covid drains you, depletes your energy. Taking a high dose vitamin B Complex pill twice a day for the first few days helps with that. When your normal returns, go back to whatever your normal vitamin intake was. Almost nobody needs more than standard daily vitamin dosages.
Of course it's always best to avoid getting it at all. Masks still work. Social distancing still works. Hand sanitizing still works. Best, injections against the disease still work most reliably. Denial is a crap shoot. If you're going that route, I could wish you "good luck", but just ask yourself exactly how that works for everybody. How many deaths has the world had so far? One estimate taking into account the reluctance of certain governments to admit incompetence or scare off tourists, is 35 million. Just how much power do you think my "good luck" wish holds over the planet, and follow that by just how sarcastic you think my "good luck" might have been if you''re avoiding masks, staying close to other possibly sick people, not washing your hands, and neglecting immunizations.
Yes, exactly! So take care of yourselves. Or.... "Good Luck To You!"

No comments:
Post a Comment