Friday, September 25, 2026

The Tracking Tease

 I ordered a bottle of pills from Walmart when I put in last week's grocery order for same-day pickup. Not prescription-important, just supplement-important, but something I take regularly, and it was getting low. After a couple bad experiences back when Trump started throwing tariffs around like candy from a parade float, where I paid for some things which never arrived and the store took no responsibility for a refund, I promised myself to only order what could be picked up from the store. The trick is to read the fine print and see if they offer same day delivery on the item, for an extra fee of course. But these come from inside the country, and I order them fairly regularly, like a couple times a year. No problems... yet.

It helps that they come with tracking. But then so did the forever-missing bathroom rugs and battery clock. They were all also promised in two days. Eventually I bought those things a second time...  by walking into a store and finding something actually in stock and suitable... enough. The rugs aren't the color I wanted in the bathroom however. I settled for black because the store I was in had it. It's technically a neutral color. (Did you know there is no scrap of lint in a bathroom that is black? Everything shows,,, and sticks in the fibers through the laundry cycle.)

Steve also had a shipping issue this last week. During his hospital stay the surgeon requested he bring a piece of specialized medical equipment he uses from home, along with its cords. The cords never returned, and they each have unique plugs. He wound up calling the company rep and had replacements sent out, Fedex. They offered tracking with a link to his email, and he watched the days count down, finally getting the magic words informing him his package had been delivered.

They didn't happen to mention to where. I checked the main covered porch, our usual required location. Fedex had been doing a bang-up job of getting things there since we moved in. No, nothing there. I checked the little porch near the street, nothing over it to protect deliveries from weather, just a sign telling delivery folk to use the other porch. Nothing there either. Might they have set it in the community center, the lobby of which holds a standard USPS wall of locked mail boxes but also gets miscellaneous boxes dropped there as well, including boxes of garden veggies to be shared, or book-exchange stacks under a bulletin board. Not there either. When he asked Fedex to have the driver clarify where the package had been dropped, they informed him he needed the tracking number. He'd never been given one, and somehow the company rep didn't have that information. It allegedly had been tracked all this time, but nobody had that missing piece of information!

With that in mind, and my pills running late,  I checked Walmart's  ordering page. In very tiny font at the top it announced the package was being delivered by 7PM that day. I could track it. When I clicked on tracking, it actually worked! My package was still in Atlanta, its point of origin. Yeahhhhh, it's not gonna be here tonight. I gave it another couple days before checking porches again, and went back to the ordering site. Yep, still going to be delivered at 7PM. 

Nope, not delivered by 7 PM.

I still hadn't run out of my pills, and gave it another couple days before checking in again. What? They don't know where it is? AND THEY ACTUALLY ADMIT IT???  OK, patience. Another couple days and they found it. For five days it registered in Atlanta. The next three in Nashville where they apparently lost it again, since notices said they were searching for it. Later the slippery little bugger had been located, but no notice that it was moving again. Once it left Nashville, it next registered in Hodgkins, IL. Well, that's getting some closer anyway. Each time I checked, it still optimistically declared it would be delivered by 7PM. 

WHAT? DID THEY FINALLY HAVE STAR TREK TECH SO THEY COULD BEAM MY PACKAGE DIRECTLY TO MY HOME FROM THERE? AND THEY WEREN'T USING IT?

Those cheapskates! At least it was moving again, though.

Next day it showed up in Eagan, MN, a suburb south of St. Paul.  OK, closer, but puzzling. Eagan is where the USPS major sorting center is. Fedex usually winds up in a huge sorting center in a northern suburb of St. Paul before hitting the small trucks.

Last night it was in Minneapolis, which is the wrong direction as any tired flying crow will realize. Of course it still promises 7 PM delivery. Still ain't gonna happen. It's close, and I could get it here from there in an hour, but that would be with a single package on board and a straight shot. It still had to hit that big distribution center north of St. Paul to get on the truck heading our way.

I checked my pills supply. Yep, I still have enough to get through next week. Come on guys, it's a race. Can you get it here by then? It still claims it'll be here by 7PM. 

It just doesn't say which week.

No comments: