Friday, September 6, 2024

How Tired?

 I have  new scale to tell how tired/ exhausted I have gotten while I wasn't looking. You know, busy, intent on completing a job while you could actually tell how far you'd gotten in it. This time it was the second stabby rose bush, in a raised bed so the ground was less than level, more than inconvenient, and downright devilish should my chair or feet tilt while I was depending on them for balance.

On top of that, of course, since I was in "the neighborhood", there was a maple tree growing inside the rose where nobody had cared to attack it because the rose was staunchly defending it, until just a bit ago, and one or more maple trees (yet to be determined) growing up inside the hydrangea next to the rose. While it isn't as stabby, it is a tangled thicket, presenting its own challenges. I do know part of that second maple tree was removed, and chopped into small pieces... sort of. More information than that is yet to be collected.

I did finish, or at least completed what is going to pass for "finished" this week. That included refilling the garbage bin, since it finally got emptied that morning and now had room, plus folding up the chair, returning tools to the shed, and bringing the package FedEx left on the (correct) porch into the house.

So, the curious among you may be wondering just how tired exhausted is on my new scale. First, I didn't bother opening the box to find out what was in it. Why should that be a question since I ordered it? First, it's just one of a dozen boxes and packages expected in the next two weeks, and even knowing who was sending it, they'd just sent me a note letting me know part of my order was not arriving, but without telling me which part. I went back online earlier in the day to try to figure out what it might be, but instead of a list of items by name or description, it had a collection of tiny pictures. I did recognize one, but I don't believe that would fit in this box. So with that mystery hanging over my head, I didn't bother to take the tiny step of actually opening the box.

I suppose now you're saying to yourself that you just wouldn't be that curious, and not opening the box quickly is not an indication of tiredness, but of your own patience. So we come to the second part of the scale. I'm sitting down typing this in my recliner, feet extended on the footrest, because I have this much energy left: my fingers can still move and the brain still churn, at lease enough for a first draft.

HOWEVER, there's a bathroom about two feet behind me, on the other side of the wall my recliner backs up to (not in to). I need to use it. But to get there I have to set down my laptop, drop the footrest, stand up, walk about 30 feet down the hall, turn through the living room to the door to my bedroom, cross it and most of the bathroom until I'm almost exactly opposite this chair. I'm just to tired to do that right now.

Now do you believe it's an accurate scale for how exhausted I can get while I'm not paying attention? I'm too tired to.....

No comments: