Sunday, September 29, 2024

Great Grandma's New Photobomber

I finally got the time and schedule to visit the great-grand kids over the weekend. Their mom is my granddaughter, and the three kids are from first grade down to just had a 1st birthday. It's a bit of a drive, and right now Steve can't handle one (nor some days simply walking) so I take pictures to share when I return. (As if that were a chore!!)

Just over a year ago I found the photobomber in the family, the eldest. She used to be a bit camera shy, especially the year before that when she stayed shy for most of the visit up to where we were. Last year I got a real kick out of the change. However it became a real challenge to get just a picture of my granddaughter, or just the parents, or Mom with younger brother. 

I tried several things to not have every single photo include my photobomber, but I was surprised when my favorite photo from that entire visit was of her photobombing. She had been off in the kitchen, doing something on her own. I'd tucked the camera away during the mild chaos of Daddy arriving home with their new dog fresh from the groomers with her first ever haircut. I say dog for size, but make it puppy for energy and cuteness. She spent several minutes bouncing from person to person, except for me. We hadn't been introduced yet, though after a while and a pile-up, we got well acquainted. I wanted a good shot of the dog, and the only way was with Mom and the youngest on the floor giving the dog attention and trying to keep her in one place for a decent shot. 

It almost worked.

Second try got closer, and we figured the third would be the one. It was, since they were finally settled down and reasonably well posed. Of course, from the kitchen, the eldest heard that the camera was again turned on and working. When I saw the photo, she was the blur in the background charging in so as not to miss being in the picture too!

This year my great-granddaughter was still something of a photobomber, but not quite as frenetic about it. I figured out ways to separate people, including both her brothers. I'd also brought over a huge bag stuffed with bubblewrap, and she quickly discovered one can't get her "fair share" of bubblewrap and photobomb greatgrandma at the same time. After  being in a generous share of photos, this year she found other things to do, including semi-friendly fights with her middle brother over how bubblewrap was to be properly used and who got to do it. At one point this included coaching him how to get out of the large Hefty bag he'd worked his way into, first following some bubblewrap in, then finding out how, when  one stretches out new bulges in the bag so you can fit too, those bulges like to hug you back and keep you as their captive. Once out again, this time only elbows went in the bag and it became his bat cape. Eventually the increasing number of holes in the cape meant it got put aside. At some point attempts were made to make a fort in various rooms, and breakables had been chosen to try to weight the blanket tops down to hold their shapes.

Oops.

It was noisy. It was chaotic. It was fun. It was so normal!! I hadn't been around kids at play for a very long time and it was delightful.

Eventually the camera came out again. The youngest boy had a new plastic chair to play with, as I'd found three, each different colors, and brought them as presents. I was impressed with how well he walked for just being one. He could also climb into the chair, decide he was facing backwards, stand up and turn around to sit again. He'd get out, tipping the chair, then look at it and figure out exactly how to get it up on all four legs again for the next round. I got nearly 2 1/2 minutes of that activity on video, then reverted back to still shots of everybody, most activity much calmer now with supper time looming, and my head back home imminent. I took a bunch of shots trying to get whatever and whoever I'd missed before leaving. This is when I found my new photobomber.

 Down at the bottom of nearly every photo during this time is the dog. Well, not all, just her head poking up from the bottom, big eyes all but glowing in the pictures as she took everything in. I'd been trying to make friends earlier but she was slow to warm up. I guess she had to be sure her family was being treated well. But now it was all her, her. her. Wherever the camera aimed, there her head was.

The pictures of course are adorable. I have cropped the people out as much as possible. I don't believe in posting other people, especially kids, online without their or their parent's permission, and I never asked for it. For the record, in the below picture Mom is giving a big grimace, Not only is that nose cold but her tongue was very wet over Mom's face.

This one below required flash for the main shot and the dog got herself a faceful. I do not think she learned anything but it was time for me to go, so I have no more samples to check  that out on.

Just great memories!


No comments: