Monday, October 3, 2022

Weirdness

Now, you might think that because I'm writing this during a haboob which is throwing a great party in our neighborhood, that the haboob is what I'm writing about.  ....(Oops, brief pause to shut the front door and brace it.) .... But this is ordinary enough that it's the second one I've seen turn our sky brown and limit visibility to the backs of yards across the street. Interesting. Not weird. Add annoying.

Now, the .... (oops, brief pause to block the front door again) ... issue at hand is making me wonder if I hallucinate or we have a slightly haunted house. .....(oops, another pause, same cause)....

I am very reluctant to credit any ghost, even though Steve's family has their own ghost story, verified by multiples of them, and I'm not about to say they didn't see and do what he says they did. ...(Drat that door!).....  

I'd fallen asleep in my recliner one afternoon a couple days back, tickled that Steve has a new/used lift chair and I have my own recliner back.What I saw came in the boundary between opening my eyes and being startled into full awareness. She was an old woman, very short, round in figure, bent over as some will do in their old age, her total height a bit shorter than mine in the chair. Her wispy strings of white hair poked out from under a pink hat, the short glimpse fighting with my memory as to whether it was a bandana or a stocking knit cap, no brim. Her shirt was red, 3/4 sleeves with a small (flowered) pattern sparsely sprinkled over it, and grey pants ended just below her knees. In the time it took me to react to the invader in the house, she took about three steps right in front of me, from slightly to my left to right in front of me. She was in a hurry... to vanish, apparently. She was also cranky. Whatever her errand was, she didn't want to be stopped. The entire ... experience? ... was somewhere between two and three seconds, and with my inrush of adrenaline, over.

Unexplained. Totally weird.

I tried in retrospect unsucessfully to find a border between before, during, and after. Whether I was awake or not, my eyes were focused on the same spot throughout. There was no audio on my soundtrack. Internal or external, something happened. I have no opinion on the matter. Except to say it was indellible. I will be wondering who she "was" and where she "came from". I know I'm not the first old lady in this house, but I also know the most recent one died miles away in a care facility. I know of nobody in my history that resembles her in any way or shape, so can't say she reminded me of _____.

For now I'll just chalk it up to the weird column in life's experiences, with a whimsical wish that if she's real, she might help discourage the real intruders gaining entry to the house.

No comments: