Thursday, October 6, 2022

"Scam Likely"

That's what shows up on my phone's caller ID for more than half my incoming calls. Nearly all of them are from investors wanting to buy the house.  Not only do we not want to sell, period, we both are angry at how investors are treating the area, buying up properties, doing the slightest fix-up, then flipping them to other investors who want to rent these homes out for outlandish rates. We'd dearly love more (good) neighbors, the kind who stick around most of the time, who own and take pride in their property and the neighborhood, and most of all, who occupy the homes instead of leaving over half of them obviously vacant.

I've developed a shortcut on these calls. Once they ask if I'm me and I confirm I am, I simply add that if it's about buying the house, it's not for sale. This one went a step further. After a pause, she asked if I had any other properties I'd like to sell.

Unable to resist, I asked her if she'd buy the Brooklyn Bridge. After just the slightest pause, she answered, "Yes." 

I'm pretty sure she heard me laughing as I hung up.

I wonder how long it will take her to get it.

No comments: