Wednesday, September 22, 2021

No Brass Balls, But....

...I do have a brass nipple!

I was looking for a steel one, but nobody carries those anymore in stores, apparently. 

What? You're not a plumber? Then maybe I should explain. Remember that gas line connector I needed so we can finally get our new wall oven installed and usable? The exact thing needed, after the Wayfair rep called the manufacturer for the data not in the installation manual, is a double male 1/4 inch nipple. Steel is preferred, according to the internet. I suppose if I wanted to wait for a couple weeks and order one online for three to four times the cost, I could still find one. So-o-o-o not in the mood. So I have a brass nipple. 

It's a metal tube, about 2" long, threaded on both ends on its outside with a hex shape expansion in its center. If that's not clear, Google it. Don't forget the double male part. That means each end fists inside other threaded piping, in case you don't get the "male" part. The "helpful" sales person in the plumbing department at Home Depot either didn't get it or hasn't yet figured out how to hear a female when she requests a specific part that isn't like any other random part anywhere else in the store. He walked me over to a plastic hose, perhaps 7 or 8 foot long, with definite female couplings on each end. He also poo-poohed the quarter inch part, even tough the manufacturer specified that exact size. Good thing he doesn't work on commission.

After arriving home, I went online, located a nearby Lowes, and found an employee there who knew exactly what I was talking about, knew which two spots it might likely be in, and sorted through sizes and male-female and threaded versus other kind of connections, until he located the right brass nipple. The store does have a few steel nipples but in much larger sizes, so no go. I bought it.

I did run into another issue, however, one I've been running into more frequently these last few weeks. The card readers can't read my chip any more. And being chipped, they refused to read my card when I slide it. One "helpful" gal took the card and a piece of cloth and wiped off the chip part, thinking (really? thinking?) that some dust or grease might be the problem. Of course the coating over the chip is thinner now. I can see three shiny thin stripes across it, and if I look really closely in good light, there are teensy bumps under the gold. I've called to get the card replaced. At least I carry a different one, and can order online any time card free.

Those kind of calls are always fun. They always want to send me a text to confirm who I am before sending the new card out. That works about as well on my phone as it would on a landline. After collecting my info, the last 4 of my SS, my address and email number, I got passed upwards to the next one, and then the next one in the chain, who after everybody else's problems with me, simply made sure my mailing address matched my records. Everybody's happy to let me know my balance, my last payment, how much more I can charge. I already know that stuff. I keep track of it several times a week. But after 15 minutes on the phone, it will only take a week or so for the new card to arrive. 

Unless De Joy has screwed the mail system up even more in the meantime.

So now, tomorrow starts the process - 3rd time's a charm? - of having the shipper contact the local installer company while I wait to see if those guys can send out somebody actually competent in hooking up a gas oven properly. And connecting the electrical cord. And adding the trim strip to cover the hole above the oven. And screwing the sides to the cabinet it's sitting in. Oh hey, and maybe even making sure it works!

But now I at least have a brass nipple! Sigh.

I think I need some chocolate.


No comments: