Friday, September 10, 2021

Ever Get That Feeling?

You know the one, when everything piles upon the next and the next and the next. It's the point when you just can't take on another thing no matter how simple or easy it might be at any other time. The things needing done that might actually involve what's going on are virtually impossible. You'd escape in sleep or reading or nonsense TV but even those things take monumental effort and you can't even get into them if you try because everything is whirling around demanding attention you don't think you have to give but which they manage to drag out of you anyway.

Naw, me neither.

Just kidding. That was my 2nd half of yesterday. Literally. It lasted past midnight.

I did manage to fight through to make a couple phone calls however. First was to the people at Wayfair to complain about the door, give all the details about what happened and finding out what would be done to correct it. Turns out the delivery company was responsible, I needed to get three quotes on fixing it, and they'd check back in with me in a week (!) to see how it was going because vacation, you know, started in less than two hours. During the conversation the front door popped open again, of course, showing that the heavy jug on the floor wasn't enough to keep it in place. It also yielded my personal directed inspection of door and frame to try to establish just what had gotten damaged, which yielded nothing more than laughter at my description of how the paint seal along the inside wall/frame joint was undisturbed. Sigh.

I did manage, during the conversation, to garner enough brute force to shove the door back into place enough that with more force I could turn the deadbolt and hold the door in place. It still wasn't good enough to let it simply latch, even after engaging the deadbolt. Much more effort allowed me to unbolt the door, so I quickly rebolted it and declared the front door off limits just in case repeated activity busted something in the frame further and we'd be stuck with a free exchange of outside air for days. Apparently any fix is going to take a while. Too many 109 degree days are expected. For the duration we get to go through the house and out the back door, over very uneven ground which is very hard on Steve. Rich is working on clearing a better path through his room to the carport door as I type this.

He got an ultimatum.

Next call was to Home Depot to try to get ahold of some mythical somebody who knew something about doors and installation or fixes, who might even have some idea about what it would take to fix a door refusing to close, and where I needed to start about getting an evaluation and quote. I was eventually reassured (?) that my issue was in a note that would personally be placed on the right person's desk and I'd get a call by the next day for sure. Uh-huh. Sigh.

Lastly was my call to my insurance company. My goal was to pick their brains about how to start getting  the right people for repair quotes. While I was on the line I decided it was also time to see about the lug nut damage to the front siding. (Perhaps Adam really has been somehow "persuaded" to stop his attacks.) Luckily I had handy the copy of the police report from May with the case number on it. This woman periodically let me know she was sending me another email doing this and such for each next stage in the process, finally assuring me an adjuster would contact me and while dealing with the siding I could also pick their brain on the door, already having assured them that the door was not going to be their claim. At this point I don't even know if there will be a claim acknowledged on the siding damage or whether it will be more than the deductible. Oh, and three quotes on the door shouldn't be needed. One was insurance industry standard. As if that matters.

I knew there was a generous supply of emails in my in box. I just couldn't bring myself to open my email. Not for the whole rest of the day. It's coming up on 10 AM and I've opened one so far. It's the insurance company's request to send documents to me via email, and I've managed to enlarge it past a #3 font to readable size and click a couple necessary buttons. As soon as I discovered the very next email was identical, down to the claim number and font size, I simple deleted it and closed email. I'll get to the rest. Honest. Soon. 

Sigh.

But since I'm not cooling greater Phoenix, I'm choosing to be busy today, since nobody could be bothered to be busy yesterday. Steve's taking me out to lunch. I'm running a couple loads of donations to a local thrift shop. I'm going to order up a dumpster for the driveway for throwing out a whole lot of stuff needing tossing, starting with the current wall oven as soon as it's removed for the installation of the new one, Sunday morning. Beats waiting for October 1st. I at least got that changed. Plus I finally pined down Wayfair to contact the installation folks and got the assurance that they would be taking the old one out too, since both gas and electric connections needed to be dealt with. They just take it out, not away. There's enough junk here to merit that dumpster and getting it all hauled out at once. I even have visions of trimming back some overgrown bushes that went overboard in their growth in response to the 4" plus of rain during the monsoon season. It hasn't rained since, with no sign of doing so, and they can't support the current growth. To survive at all, it's clip clip clip, haul away. I get up early enough to both just barely see the branches and tolerate the temperature. Besides, I had a little experience over the summer.

Well, at least I get up early enough when I can mentally settle down enough to get to sleep!

Sigh.

No comments: