Friday, May 31, 2013

Service Failure

While traveling and making a motel reservation via the phone, I succumbed to a sweet talking offer to join a service which gave discounts on travel expenses, including $40 of that night's room. It would cost $1 the first month, $16.95 each one thereafter. If I canceled  within that first 30 days, I'd only owe the buck.

Seemed like a no-brainer. But knowing how mail and email can sometimes go astray, I thought to hedge my bets and ask for the phone number to cancel, just in case. I was given one, read it back to the gal on the phone, and had it confirmed. If you care, it is 1-800-658-3524. Heck, that's the number even if you don't care.

It was time to cancel, having assured myself that none of the services and discounts offered held any interest or value to me. I punched in the number, getting the expected voicemail list of options. But the options themselves were a bit unexpected. It seems I had the choice of speaking with either a male or a female, both of which, I was assured, were hot and ready to have a long chat with me!

Not quite the service I was looking for.

As a side note, I made sure, after getting the real number, that the manager I got kicked upstairs to, heard about my experience. I suspect it was embarrassment which rendered him nearly speechless.

No comments: