Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Mournful Milestone

It had to happen eventually. I am now joining the ranks of those who personally know somebody who died from Covid. Not just a familiar name, or know-somebody-who-knows-somebody-who, but actually knew him.

Vic was a former treasurer from the club I joined down here, Fairway Sterling And Stones. I attended two years worth of Board meetings alongside him, along with membership meetings, seeing him in the club working, and conversing with him and his wife (now widow) about their latest projects. He was a unique personality, not just another generic member of the club. I was shocked to learn over a year ago that he had been battling cancer for a while. He wasn't one to discuss his challenges - aside from hating email. I only learned that because I routinely send out the club minutes that way, and he wasn't a fan, preferring the hard copies provided in the meetings.

After catching it at a Christmas party, he was hospitalized briefly, then returned home last week. I blithely assumed it meant he was better, but the notification I received of his death from a mutual friend stated that he checked himself out because he couldn't get any rest there. He needed to return a few days ago because he was not getting enough oxygen, but did not survive.

His wife, another club friend, also tested positive, but had few symptoms and is to be out of quarantine today. Much as I like(d) them both, I have no plans to attend a funeral. I still don't qualify for  my first vaccination, since Arizona is cutting it off right now at 75 and older. My best friend should be letting me know tonight in her daily check-in call that she got her first dose this morning. Steve finally got his appointment for Saturday the 23rd, after a day yesterday fighting with an unworkable online registration system and an hour and 13 minutes on hold with the alternative phone registration system this morning. The closest I'll get to a vaccine by then will be driving him to the stadium for his.

Meanwhile I'm planning to stay as safe as possible. And mourn in private.


No comments: