Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Something For The Fisherman

I plead guilty. I have conspired. Nothing illegal, just a bit of fun, and only after the fact.

I received a call from my sister-in-law Alta, the one married to  Steve's brother Max, living in Salt Lake City. As you may have guessed, it concerns a present being sent to him in the mail, along with others in a box. First it was to let us know it was sent, along with her reminder that it would be late. (As if we had to be reminded.)

She told me what all was in the box: some of her traditional orange fudge (think "Dreamsickle"), cookies we agree are at least as good as Girl Scout Thin Mints and available year around, a gift card for me, and something just for Steve. Ashley picked it out.

Ashley is the youngest of his/our nieces, now in junior high. I first met the whole family years ago on the Great RV Road Trip aka Disaster, posted previously in this blog over a couple weeks in July 2010. Their family was one of the best parts of that trip, and relatively disaster-free. Both families, including one of my sons, Paul, and Steve's daughter Maria, camped in Alpine, Wyoming. It was a place nearly sacred to the brothers, having many memories of fishing there when young with their father. This time more of us were along. From the campground, one takes a dirt road along the Greys River up the mountain into national forest land. You can pull over in suitable areas to fish, though the game wardens are frequent visitors and really appreciate proper licenses. Steve and Max fished, and Max's kids kinda fished a bit between bouts of being kids. 

More great new memories were built for those of us who went. (I took only my camera, no license required.) Ashley was about 5 (?) then, the youngest, and claiming the larger portion of her father's attention. Of the few people-pictures I took, ones of those two are among the best. Anyway, Ashley knew how important fishing is to her uncle.

When Alta told me what the present was, I agreed it was perfect for Steve. I suspect Alta wasn't quite sure, given its uniqueness and the particular sense of humor required for appreciation, but I did my best to reassure her he'd love it. And I promised not to tell him what it was.

However, I did promise to keep Steve from opening it until I was ready to video it being opened so they could have his reaction when he saw it. I had to at least let him know what the new rules for opening that particular present were, and Steve agreed.

It came today, three boxes and an envelope. Nothing labeled as coming from Ashley, so I filmed each opening, as it turned out, because that present was the last opened. Of course. As paper came off in hunks and revealed more of what it was, smiles turned to laughter, turned to him repeating, "Oh, that's precious!"

What was this gift that caused all this reaction? It's a toilet fishing kit.

No,  you don't fish in the toilet, you fish while on the toilet. Presumably for those lengthy stays. Presumably also for those who live in quarters where a second commode is available. It comes with a water-blue colored mat to cover the floor, fitting around the base of the toilet, a bowl for water and "fish", and a tiny pole rigged with line and a hook. All plastic so nobody gets hooked in any tender places. You know, like eyes. If somebody falls off the stool while fishing/laughing, it's their own fault and their own mess to clean up. And that's final!

Alta had tracked the package and known it arrived today, so called after supper. By then I'd had enough time to find out I have absolutely no clue how to send the video from my computer up to them. We may settle for a visit late this spring on our way north, and me bringing my laptop inside to view full screen on it there. Or my learning a new skill in the meantime.

Alta cautioned me that she really didn't want/need a video of it in use in order to be sure it was appreciated!

Hmmm, that hadn't occurred to me....

No comments: