Friday, October 23, 2020

When Observation Changes The Results

I recall (dimly) that there is a law of physics (subatomic?) which states that observation of something changes what it is. Or maybe where. I never actually took physics in either high school or college, but still catch bits and pieces from reading various science publications. It only comes to mind since I realize it works on a macro level as well. I assure you, I don't go around idly tossing various obscure physics theories around in my mind.

I bet  you already guessed that, right?

I finally got my doc to re-prescribe me a blood sugar meter. In case you forgot - because why not? - I wrecked my brand new one the first time out of the box way back when because my blood thinners were way too efficient - or over prescribed? - and the blood ran down the test strip and into the meter. Instant death for the meter. I saved it in case somebody in the future wants to see if it can be taken apart, cleaned, and gotten working again. You know, during a very boring year or something. Oh hey....

But now I am able to track  my 1st-in the morning sugar levels again. And I'm adjusting my behavior because of it.

The first reading was depressing. This was the day I took several readings throughout the day to see how it changed. So I'm minding my carbs, both quantity and timing of last ones of the day. For example, ice cream is now likely eaten midday rather than bedtime. Each reading gets recorded, and if one is what I consider to be too high, say 120 or above, I make a mental note to have less of whatever and have it earlier in the day. I might also exercise more - some is more than none, right? - though that happens in the early mornings when it's cool outside these days, and I wind up trading it for pool walking, being too tired by late afternoon to head for the pool. Perhaps achey too, depending on the workload.

Steve is also tracking his daily, now that his doc is getting after him about it and just doubled his metformin. Whoever is first to do it reminds the other that they need to also. It's almost a competition between us, with Steve coming out lowest most days. But I console myself with two facts: my levels are dropping, and I'm still not on meds. Considering the side effects Steve is getting from the metformin, that is indeed worth fighting for.

Now, if I can just figure out what that physics theory is and whose, not to mention whether I totally screwed up what I think I remember. It was probably used in a science fiction book I liked a few decades ago, but since I read thousands.... 

Oh well, maybe later. It seems I'm out of ice cream and it's that time.

No comments: