Friday, November 8, 2019

But... But... I have Questions

Just got the OK to resume pool walking. All the procedures are not done yet, like the one where some kind of ultrasound probe goes down my throat to verify whether my Watchman has completely shut off my heart's left atrial appendage so I can go off blood thinners. It's scheduled a month out and I'll be under for it, but from the first procedure I know I'll need a supply of throat lozenges and some ibuprofin for a couple days. That part wasn't one of the questions, though.  What is one is why they switch me to a different medication afterwards, Plavix, rather than leave me on warfarin while gradually tapering me off. It definitely will not be cheap. Plus the possible side effects are way-y-y-y more "interesting."

Speaking of medications, there's another I can't get a straight answer on. It's supposed to prevent A-fib and lower BP. My BP is currently low enough that my primary questions it and I'm already halving the dose of another BP lowering drug, the second of the three I take. So if I don't need the BP effects, and I've had the atrial ablation which is supposed to fix the A-fib, why do I still need to take this particular drug? I might not be quite so interested but for the fact that it's the most expensive in my arsenal, price increasing it seems with every refill, and I'm just on a kick to ditch as many drugs as feasible.

(Shhhhh! Don't tell anybody but I'm already tracking the side effects (none) of decreasing the dosages of the first one on my own. My cardiologist already has me working at home with daily monitoring to vary the dosages on the other two BP drugs to find the right levels to maintain the desired BP. It's working beautifully.)

There is one swimming question as well. Do I take in the old swimsuit to get a bit more wear from it? It's been done once already, and the chlorine continues to destroy the elastic, but hitching up the straps and tightening the crotch could give it a bit more life. Another option is taking in the brand new suit I ordered just before I began losing enough weight to make it baggy as well. It'll need fairly drastic revisions - like a whole restyling of the bust where somebody thought it's measurements ought to match my hips. It's possible if I swam with two pair of socks stuffed in the cups they wouldn't gap away from my actual chest enough to show just how  misguided that sizing is. It's pretty, and I like it, but... A third option is seeing if an old but unworn suit is one I can fit into yet. I have pulled it out and hung it next to the others,  just haven't gone that extra step. It does seem a shame, however, to expose that one to the ravages of chlorine. So, questions.

I have been to the indoor pool one of the other rec centers has. With a water temperature of 92 and no chilly breezes, it seems ideal. Steve will be able to go in a couple weeks, so as soon as I choose my swimsuit alternative, we're good to go.

No comments: