Tuesday, April 23, 2019

REALLY Young Quail

I had been waiting to see them. With a cooler winter and early spring than recent years, it was possible the hatch had been delayed. Or perhaps it was an imperfect memory that thought the new gambel quail should be running around after their parents.

Saturday morning, on my way to demonstrate, I glimpsed my first clutch of the year. Parents were pausing their five babies,  just off the curb and onto the street, so that they wouldn't run under my car just as I passed and before I could slam on the brakes. It turned out their timing was perfect for that crossing, missing both mine and the car passing from the other direction. A glance in the mirror showed them safely across seconds later.

Once I know the quail chicks are out and about, I assiduously search for them everywhere as I drive. The next clutch didn't require any driving on my part to be spotted. Rather, Steve and I had to return home from his latest doctor appointment and pause to look at the back yard - the thorn tree is blooming - to notice them.

There were both parents, passing back and forth near the back fence. It caught my attention because usually they go from here, to there, and gone. Turning around with nothing chasing them was new behavior to me. Then I saw why. More movement.

The camera was handy so as we both watched the family, I quietly slid open the patio door enough to have a clean shot without disturbing them. This family included six chicks, the most I've seen. They were so tiny and matched the dirt and rocks so perfectly, that until they each moved we didn't see, nor were able to count them. I decided to pop the camera on "video" to capture the action.

Steve asked how old I thought they were. Perhaps a couple days? Really tiny, after all. Watching longer, I changed my mind. Two of the babies could barely walk. They'd sit for a minute, then flop towards the parents about a foot and sit again. I changed my mind: these must have just hatched! Ground nesting birds hatch nearly ready to run, and with two still not quite at that point, that was the obvious conclusion.  Mom and Dad were still encouraging them, heading away a foot  or two, then returning, and the last two were slowly becoming more active.

After watching a few minutes, we quietly closed the patio door to avoid disturbing them while they got their legs under them. A quick look showed no obvious predators nearby, and we hoped they had a decent chance to survive long enough to scurry away.

No comments: