Friday, April 12, 2019

Partial Answer, More Questions

OK, I'm back from the cardiac surgeon.

Turns out it is continuing to be a good thing that I acquired and saved EKG strips from that 2015 ambulance ride when my A-Fib was at its worst, aka before going on Amiodarone. And speaking of going off the Amiodarone due to toxicity, this Doc thinks that the diaphragm rupture is another of its side effects. (Oh, fyi, the eye surgeon I saw last week says those brown spots in the back of my eye, the 1st toxicity effect, are not progressing and should cause no future problems.)

Surgery is scheduled for the 23rd. All the usual drug restrictions and NPO limits are in place as for any surgery. This one will be for cardiac ablation only. If you haven't been keeping up, that's the one to cauterize those cells giving bad timing info to one chamber of the heart, disconnecting that signal from the other chambers. It involves an overnight stay and a couple of follow-up visits with the surgeon. We know those will keep me in AZ for 6 weeks minimum.

We don't know if that will also take care of the progressive bradycardia. If, as he thinks, that is caused by the beta blocker I'm taking to prevent more A-fib episodes, and if, as we hope, I'm one of the 80% for whom this surgery works, it's possible the bradycardia will also go away after decreasing/eliminating that med. If not, we discuss pacemakers.

We know at least the soonest I can head north, June 5th. It could be later if further surgery is scheduled. Steve and I are talking about flying him up north, which we're thinking about regardless of my status, due to his back. I won't leave until after he's on his plane, and may plan either the usual 3 day driving trip or a longer one depending on how I feel.

We're not sure when we can start looking at airline reservations. There's the issue of his getting transportation from the airport. Who's available? Willing? Which day or time could well be an issue. You may hear from us if you're on the short list.  : )

I have no clue, if further surgery is to be scheduled, when it might be and how it might effect travel plans. I'm guessing the first clue might be as early as two weeks post-surgery, after my first check-up. I am keeping track of BP and pulse rate two or three times daily at home. I've been watching things progress. I may have an idea as the meds flush out of the system as they show up in faster pulse rates - or not. I may also have an idea when I know if walking across a parking lot still leaves me short of breath and exhausted.

Answers to come. Well-wishes accepted.

No comments: