Monday, April 1, 2019

New Butterfinger?

One thing I agree with Bart Simpson about: Butterfinger is its own food group. I try not to indulge... too much... but it's a challenge after that 1st bite in a long time. Everything is great about it, to me, including that stick-to-your-teeth quality. After all, that means it's releasing that wonderful flavor in your mouth for longer. With supreme self-control, should one happen to possess it. it might result in slightly fewer consumed, or at least maybe not chomped down so quickly.

I've seen the new commercials. Somehow they say it's improved. Really big challenge. But when I saw the display at the grocery check-out, I was game to give it a try, even realizing it might completely destroy all my most recent efforts to reduce my weight.

I bought one. As soon as the fridge at home was full of what needed to be in it, I sat down with the new bar. Could they really improve on perfection? Or would this join the ranks of, say, the New Coke?

Bite. Hmmmm.... Try another one. Hmmm..... It resembled a Butterfinger. Slightly.

Puzzled, I went online to try to figure out what was changed and why. Most of what was there was verbal drooling by (presumably paid) folks who put their imaginations to work and just couldn't wait to try the new product. No, they hadn't actually tried it yet. Why did that  matter? It was definitely positively absolutely going to be wonderful!

Really! Trust them!

I finally found a site which specified what the changes were. It's gluten free now. Just a label change or an ingredients change? No clue. No old Butterfingers lying around for an ingredients check. Somehow they all got eaten right away.

They used a different variety of peanuts. Why? How were these supposed to be better? Maybe they just got a better deal on them? I love good peanuts. Roasted. Buttered, creamy or chunky, with or without jelly or bananas. In cookies and other baked goods. And Ooohhh, Snickers!!! This bar left me flat. Somehow though, I was searching for something that gave me a reason to eat the new Butterfinger.

It doesn't stick to the teeth like the old one. Color me weird, but not a plus. If I get to the point where I'm over having that original flavor in my mouth, I'll dig out the handy dandy toothbrush and deal with it. Meanwhile it would have been tasting wonderful.

I think dieting just got easier.

No comments: