Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Ten Minute Scare

Quick background: Steve is in the hospital. After feeling various kinds of sick for 4 days, he showed what appeared to be blood in the urine. After 4 hours in the ER, it was determined to be bile. He was admitted Sunday night for tests and observation, then transferred to a surgical wing in anticipation of a possible diagnosis of stone(s) in the bile duct, requiring surgical intervention.

This morning he had some special kind of MRI but with a 4-letter acronym which I can't remember. Being kept on clear liquids was just one of many reasons for anxiously awaiting a proper diagnosis.

A little while ago he called me, my having been home at the time. He'd just been told he had Hepatitis A. While the mildest form of the disease, it can easily be transmitted by "close contact". Any way you want to interpret that, he and I qualify.

Our call was interrupted by another medical person entering the room to consult with him, so I did two things. I looked it up on the internet, then left voicemail with my own doctor to see if/what I needed to do for my own health.

Almost as soon as I hung up, Steve called back. There was new, differing information. It wasn't hepatitis A after all. BUT... we still don't know what exactly is going on with him. It's gonna be at least another day of wait and watch on their part, worry and head-scratch on ours.

Oh yeah, and I need to call back my doc's office with a "nevermind".

No comments: