Saturday, November 25, 2017

Ancestry.com: The Plan

Steve and I had talked about this for nearly a year. Not only did we each want to research the truth and lies, if any, behind our family stories of our heritage, but wanted to share our own halves with our respective children.

I wanted to take it a step further. I can't and don't care to track down their father in order to fill in the gaps for them and their heritage. Is there really the oft-spoken and oft-denied Native American (Canadian?) in their bloodline? And with all the various conquests and immigrations across the European continent over the millenia, how different is the bloodline from the various ports of departure for these shores?

Yesterday, Steve- a much bigger internet surfer than I care to be - pointed out a Black Friday deal online. He suggested it as out mutual X-mas present to each other. Ancestry.com had a special going on, bringing their prices into our budgets. We both signed up immediately.

There is one small difference. I ordered two kits. My idea was that I do one, my daughter and keeper of the family history for her generation do another one. Then we compare the results when we get together. I'll know where I come from, and she'll not only know her ancestry but be able to sort out the paternal side. It'll be simple math. Half of all my values will be in her results. Remove those, and she'll have the paternal side.

Then we can share with our families. Yes, brother, I know you read this, so my results will be your results, and Merry Xmas! Uhhh, the results won't be here till mid January or so, though.

No comments: