Wednesday, January 2, 2013

While We"re At It...

Rich is finally finishing the flooring in my bedroom. It was going to be done while I was in Arizona, don't ya know. Now most of it's laid down, but the margins need finishing and then the trim strips replaced. Then it'll all be laminate through the house except for two bedrooms.

Allergies are the reason. Carpeting holds lots of the stuff I'm recently allergic to: pollens, dog and cat dander, dust mites, molds. A hard surface yields them up to cleaning. It's an unending process.

As soon as he finishes, I can move my stuff back into my room, not just the bed and a few essentials. This means I can organize it again instead of wondering where stuff is in the stacks of boxes and totes piled along, finally, just one of the living room walls.

One of the things that came out of the closet was cedar planking, still in the boxes it's sat in for the last 20 years or so. I forget just when I bought it and stuck it back in a corner of the closet after I gave up on it's prompt installation. So now, while the closet is still empty and its walls accessible, it's coming out of the box, getting trimmed to fit, and nailed in place. I'll have an actual cedar closet finally!

After all this time I can't actually smell the cedar any more, unless a piece of it is held under my nose. At least not with the first pieces up on the wall. We ran out of finishing nails so only a few pieces are up right now. I can still be optimistic that it's not too late for any smell to be left.

Or maybe it's just my stuffy nose from my allergies.

No comments: