Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Freaky: Fun and Tragedy

First the fun. I saw a bumper sticker in an auto parts store yesterday that kinda tickled my funnybone, though not in the way the manufacturer intended, I'm sure. It read, "Honk if Parts Fall Off." With Halloween looming, my twisted mind took off in another direction. I imagined a zombie costume with that sign attached, and the wearer heading down the street with a hand dropping off, or some other body parts. Hands, I think, would be easiest to rig. If one is really of a ghoulish bent, the wearer could be an amputee taking temporary advantage of the situation. Or a Michael Jackson costume chronically losing the nose, perhaps.

Now for the less fun. This story comes with caveats, including being third hand, though from reasonably trusted sources. In addition, I will be the first to admit that I'm the kind of person who struggles with other people's use (misuse) of alcohol. I have yet to find a bad situation that alcohol use can't make even worse. And this one seems to be a case in point.

The way I heard it was that some of the crew, including a young lady of my acquaintance and her boyfriend, were celebrating the end of the State Fair and finish of tear-down by getting drunk. Good friends all, having a good time. Except for the part where the boyfriend choked on a marshmallow, and all his comrades, being thoroughly drunk, were either physically or mentally unable to assist him. He literally choked to death.

It's the kind of story that makes me want to get all preachy. Not that it would help. And I think highly enough of the young woman to believe she'll be  haunted enough by what happened that I don't need to add anything but my condolences.

But still....

No comments: