Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Florist's Tale

My last run of the day was a stop at the florist to deliver a bouquet of red roses. I noticed they had no "from" on the card, and made a comment that I hoped they were a welcome delivery, not something from some stalker. I was half in jest, but only half. Lovely as they were, I had once delivered something similar to a woman who wanted nothing to do with the flowers. Me? I'm kind of a "Heck with whoever sent 'em, they're gorgeous flowers" kind of gal. Sure it's better if they're from somebody special, but hey, just send them.

The florist gave me a first name for the sender, and then filled me in on a relatively new law. Anyone who sends flowers these days has to give a name to the florist, and it can be given in turn to the recipient. It was enacted as part of anti-stalking legislation. Shortly after it went into effect, she had an order where the law made a difference.

The flowers arrived as requested, and both the recipient and her best friend were excitedly wondering who could have sent them. After making several guesses, they finally just had to call the florist to find out who the sender was. Both were absolutely shocked to find out the sender was the best friend's husband!

Some time later the errant hubby called the florist, demanding to know why his name had been given out, and yelled at the clerk that it was her fault that he was getting divorced!

She informed him about the law, and said that no, it was his own fault for trying to cheat on his wife with her best friend.

Fortunately for my delivery, the sender of the roses was the right guy and she was beaming as I left.

No comments: