Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blue Cross-Eyed

This problem is so old, we thought it had been resolved months ago.

Apparently not.

Daddy is on Medicare. That doesn't cover everything, so he's also paying for what is affectionately called "Medigap" insurance. Blue Cross is the carrier.

Over a year ago - I've lost track now of just when - we ordered new checks from his bank. They got lost somewhere, since the bank sent them to his old address, even though they sported his new one. The bank recommended for security's sake to switch to a new account, with of course a new account number. (They also sent the replacement new checks out ASAP. And free.) This meant we had to contact those who either had direct deposit from the old account or had automatic withdrawal. It sounded simple: Social Security, Blue Cross, and his pension.

The first two were straightforward enough. Blue Cross sent paperwork requiring info and Daddy's signature. Social Security required Daddy's info plus him on the phone to verify this is what's happening for real. It took waiting for a "good" day, one where Paul was home and could handle the details - like dialing the phone and fighting his way through the voicemail system to get a human. The third involved waiting until we got some kind of mailing from the pension company. We hadn't a clue who or where they were, and the info the bank had was next to useless. Luckily something arrived within a few months, and the bank was patient about transferring over the $18.29 to his new account each month.

Yeah, don't want to miss out on those pension payments.

That all took a while, but it was finally all accomplished before the end of last year. Whew!

About the first of June, we received a letter from Blue Cross. It notified us that they had successfully completed the changeover to the new bank account. What? Really? After all this time, finally? Can you really be that incompetent? And just what have all those monthly premium withdrawals been about this past 6 months if not an indication that the switchover had gone as planned way back when? I filed it in the "ignore me" pile, one step away from the "recycle me" pile, and went on about my business.

The next day's mail brought three more letters from Blue Cross. The first one informed me that they had been unable to make the withdrawal they needed for the premium payment from Daddy's bank account, and we needed to make sure it got paid pronto or his coverage could lapse.

Really. I kinda thought not, after yesterday's letter.

The second was a lengthy form to fill out and have Daddy sign giving the new account information and authorization for them to withdraw his monthly premiums.

Hey, guys, been there done that, check your files, I'm busy.

The third was a duplicate of the letter from yesterday informing us that they had successfully completed the transfer over to his new account and we could expect to see his premiums deducted from it on a monthly basis now.

Oh goody. Imagine my excitement. Whee.

I put all four letters in my lunch cooler, fully intending to call Blue Cross and ask them just what the heck they thought they were - or weren't - doing, and rub somebody's nose in the mess. But, hey, I got busy, and they sat. And sat. It's not like I don't have enough life in my life these days, after all. Maybe not just how I envisioned it, but....

I just finished balancing his latest bank statement last night, and there was another withdrawal from Blue Cross at the expected date in the expected amount. Apparently my actions were sufficient, except for my anticipated satisfaction for rubbing somebody's nose in their incompetence. Oh well, we all make those little sacrifices sometimes. It was time to pull those four letters out of my lunch cooler.

Well surprise! Now that it's summer and I'm carrying canned ice again and the humidity is climbing, they seem to have started mildewing.

Oh shucks, something else to clean. And mildew or no, they've earned their way into the recycle pile.

I wonder if Blue Cross would fit in there as well.

No comments: