Friday, December 24, 2010

Notes on the Day

He's Back!!!

The Benadryl finally seems to have worked its slow way out of his system. The mind is functioning, alert, and full of its old humor. He even hums. We've explained a couple of times to him that his meds were messing with his mind and we stopped giving him that particular one, and to bless his aid Patty for passing on the info. He knows he's back, knows he's been out of it, and is happy things are back to normal.

However...

There is a new/old concern. The burn spot on his foot, the one we think got there from too hot of heat packs being used to warm up his forever-cold foot, is looking particularly nasty. It had to be pointed out to me. I'm not the one who deals with changing socks or washing feet, and with pressure socks on most of the time for the edema in his legs, I just don't see his feet. When it was first pointed out to me, it was a raised blister about an inch across sitting in the middle of a red spot. Now there's a large brown area deep beneath the skin. His aids and the county nurse think it's all necrotic tissue, going down to the bone. We're to keep a close eye on it, and if it "pops", we're to call her (Randy) immediately. Even if it's Christmas! She even got extra special permission from her superiors to deal with it if necessary over the holiday. And if our county OKs overtime, that's worthy of comment!


Jealousy

I wasn't remotely jealous in the beginning. After all, they were having to drive from Bemidji to Portland, Oregon in winter snow and ice, even having to postpone the trip for a day while a winter storm blew through, resulting in the next day's driving being over icy roads. I already get plenty of that for work. Why be jealous?

Then I heard that my brother's family stopped for the day in Yellowstone, mostly to shoot winter pictures. I've seen a few of those in magazines. It's absolutely gorgeous there, even if it is winter. Maybe because it's winter. So for the moment, I'm indulging in a bit of jealousy.

Oh, well, maybe some year I can do that too. Even if it means walking on these crappy knees over ice and through snow just to get the shot.

Or maybe not.

Whew! I think the jealousy is cured!

No comments: