Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Just Which Part of Blind Don't You Get?

There's a dry-erase board on the wall in my dad's hospital room. It lists his name, nurse/aid of the moment, family phone number, dietary needs, and other important information needed at a glance about the patient. One of those items is "PT is legally blind".

The first evening I was there to see him, the TV in his room was tuned to what I later found out was channel 71. There is no picture. There is music, nice soothing selections like the "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethovan, or "Nutcracker" selections. The music is sprinkled with bird calls, some of which we actually recognize, like chickadee and cardinal. He enjoys listening to it.

Nearly all subsequent visits, the staff has turned the TV so the picture is on and the sound off. Last night I corrected it immediately - as I do now that I know how to tune in the good stuff - and the next staffer to walk in "corrected" it to screen on, sound off. I changed it again, and before I left somebody had again "fixed" it.

If Daddy could see the controls, I'd teach him how to do it himself. But if he could, he wouldn't need to. And that leaves him at the mercy of the staff. So tell me, guys, just what part of "blind" don't you get?

No comments: