Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Election Wrap

It's been over for a day now. I'm trying to keep some kind of hope now that the crazies have convinced the disgruntled low-information voters to vote for them and the rest of us to stay home.

Republicans threaten to turn over every stone to try to overthrow the governor's race during the recount that's almost guaranteed, talking about it as if it's somehow their "right" to "have their turn" after the Coleman-Franken race. They forget that's not what it's about. It's about counting all votes which have been properly cast. And it''s about $4 Billion in federal dollars that Pawlenty refused but Dayton will have the chance to accept for our state if he's sworn in by January 15th. Of course there will be all attempts made to drag it out, justified or not.

My granddaughter turned 18 the day before the election, and had the chance to cast her first vote. Congratulations! I can't think of a better symbol of coming-of-age. I know of one of her choices - possible the only one she was fully decided upon - and it wasn't on the winning side. I can only hope this does not discourage her but instead inspires her to keep on trying, studying the issues and candidates, and above all, voting.

As for my contest... As I put it to Steve when I called him with the results, this means that I can now win the lottery and we can head to Arizona to enjoy balmy ice-free winters right away, instead of sticking around here for another 4 years, or the 8 before normal finances allow for the move. (Well, of course, this is after discharging my duties to my father. His cold has him so miserable that several times a day he expresses the likelihood, if not the wish, that he won't last the day. I just do the next thing on the list to take care of him, tell him I hope he feels better soon, and ignore the doom and gloom.)

And I hope the city decides it likes its choice. I'm not about to go hanging out in the local bars chatting up everybody for their support for another go-round. It wasn't worth it this time either, which is why I didn't bother.

There is one positive: as soon as I'm actually home during daylight, I can look at the newly shingled roof. It got finished today. I anticipate an improvement.

No comments: