Thursday, July 22, 2010

Unamerican Airlines

I'm mad at them right now. My 17-year-old granddaughter is in Thailand, between visiting Laos and Cambodia, and her suitcase isn't.

She filed a claim. I have the number. When I got back from camping, in the door about 20 minutes, they called me asking me to confirm that she'd gotten it. Huh? First I heard of it. I've been out of touch.

A couple days later they called again, same question. This time I asked them a couple of my own. I was given a number to call back on and the information that they thought it had been delivered to a hotel in Thailand. Cool, because she was in Laos.

Communication is slow between countries when one party or the other isn't near a computer for a week. While I haven't heard from her, I have heard from the "Country Director" for the outfit that's sponsoring the travel opportunities. He says the suitcase is not at the hotel, which he knows because he is, but Jordan is holding up well. "Maturity" is the word he used.

Goodie. I am suitably proud of her, yada yada yada. Impressed even. Now where's the suitcase?

I called Unamerican Airlines back to let them know she doesn't have her suitcase yet. I was informed I was calling the wrong number since it's been over 5 days since she filed the missing bag claim. Hey, it was already over 5 days when I was given this number! Can't you guys keep track of your own policies? As politely as possible under the circumstances, I let the person on the other end of the call know that I was unimpressed by their level of helpfulness. Her voice took on that oh-so-polite tone that tells me she doesn't give a shit. I was not reassured.

I have to wait until tomorrow to call, (hours as of central standard time, don't call on their lunch break) when I'm not near a computer and have no communication with Thailand because everybody there's sleeping, so I can't tell anybody where to send the thing so she'll actually get it before she heads back home on August 13th.

Of course, I have to assume this is all worth it because they haven't already lost the suitcase again. What is it they say about making assumptions?

No comments: