Friday, May 21, 2010

Stretching

I've finally decided the worst of the rotator cuff tear is behind me. I have cut way back on the Ibuprofin levels, without the bone-deep ache in the shoulder, penetrating the elbow, and extending to the wrist. I can raise the arm straight forward to horizontal without grimacing - much. Armrests on chairs or in the car, while always in just the wrong spot, no longer cause pain as they make me move the shoulder. I can start doing things with the left hand again, sometimes even parting and brushing my hair after the shower. Of course, that's after standing so the hot water hits the shoulder during most of the shower, and raising the arm, elbow bent, to overhead at least once. Just today I started closing the car door with the left arm again, although I've perfected the art of reaching across myself with the right to do so. It involves hooking the knee under the steering wheel while I overbalance. I wouldn't want to land nose down on the asphalt.

There's still much I can't do. I can't roll over in bed to lay on that side, so sleeping is still a progression from bed to recliner to bed to recliner as I need to change position from the pressure on one spot. Needless to say, I'm sleep deprived. (However, the dog is adapting well to my movements, no longer thinking each signals an opportunity for him to get to go outside in the middle of the night.) I can't tuck a box under the left arm and carry it, though I can support it from underneath in conjunction with the other arm, or just for long enough for the right arm to reach up and pull the hatch shut. And I can't lift the arm, not well. Not hardly at all, in fact.

That's important. I recall clearly the Doctor's instruction from the first time, telling me to finger-walk up the wall until the arm was straight up, for if I didn't, the shoulder would freeze in place. I don't want that. But there's another reason, and that's my skin. The left arm has been down so long that my armpit doesn't get a chance to dry out.

Sure, go ahead and laugh! I would. Except that the skin is getting irritated, rubbed by the elastic in the bra, and staying gooey from the antiperspirant even after I get home from work and change. It itches, It needs air. And did I mention it itches?

Problem is, I need help getting it up. The arm, of course, what did you think I meant? So I asked Paul to help me lift it, twice a day at least, first straight out to horizontal, then to vertical, and back down again. Slowly, stretching everything. It's easy when he does it. On my own, I can raise it to about the 8:00 position, to the side, or 9:00 straight forward. So we'll stretch it, and I'll start working the muscles again, and I'll get my arm back.

Mostly, anyway.

No comments: