Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Pelican, Briefly Revisited







The Pelicans did stick around for about another week, although they had started leaving in small chunks just after my last posting. For a time, they settled on North Center Lake on a sand bar exposed by low lake levels. Passing fishermen, even ones at high speed, didn't seem to bother them. I now haven't seen a single one for a week, although my eye has been trained to search them out each time I pass all their previous locations, and even though experience has taught me they aren't there any more. I am assuming they have gone on to their individual summer breeding locations. I only hope they come back for regular seasonal visits, and this year wasn't a fluke.

There does seem to be territorial expansion. My Audobon bird guide claims their territory is marshy areas of Texas and the west coast. This is a long way from there, and I've seen them in this state for several years now.

Just for contrast, I am adding a couple pictures of brown pelicans from Florida, shot at Homosassa Springs in January of 2009. They are free to come and go, but seem quite comfortable in a location encircled by boardwalks for the tourists and filled with herons, flamingos, roseate spoonbills, and many other bird species.

No comments: