Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Greetings

Happy New Year!

It's time to rest for a bit, home after our biggest auction of the year, and getting ready to head down to Martin County for a family wedding tomorrow. Technically, I guess, for me it's an ex-family wedding, since the groom's brother and I got divorced back in 1981. But of course his kids are my niece and nephew, and my kids are his, so there's not really so much "ex-" in the family after all.

I don't expect my ex to be there, though I haven't bothered to ask. Since 1981 ended, we've seen him twice, including our daughter's wedding. Through the years there have been three funerals and two weddings down there, three counting tomorrow, and I've been there with the kids for all of them. My ex showed up once, for his mother's funeral, and didn't stay to socialize afterward. He did actually converse with two of his children on that occasion. The third declined the opportunity. When my niece made a critical comment to me about this behavior, I simply let her know that my son had his reasons. (He has.)

The combination of the upcoming wedding and having this blog for a sounding board have led to my taking lots of time for reflection about family history. I anticipate a number of upcoming postings on some of those topics. The total list grows daily, while opportunity to write is much more limited. Right now, it's time for supper, some TV R&R, and rest before a 4-hour drive each way.

And I'm greatly looking forward to meeting my new sister-in-law-in-law. Or is there a better term for my brother-in-law's wife-to-be? John's last wife, Pam, died a few years ago after a long battle with liver cancer. I just hope for Susan's sake that he can take Pam off her (proper) pedestal and truly make room for somebody new. Or at the very least, tuck that pedestal away in a closet and only look in on it in private moments.

Oh, for anyone who's wondering what arrangements I've made for taking care of my father while the rest of us tromp gaily down for the wedding, my boyfriend Steve will be spending the day with him. I'd be delighted to introduce him to my "ex-family", but for some reason he prefers to remain here. I get that.

No comments: