Friday, January 29, 2010

Disclaimer

Having read with interest the tale of a bruhaha in the blogosphere, I have come to the conclusion that it's time to put in my own disclaimers about the content of this blog.

First, any and all opinions not credited to anyone else are mine, and are only opinions. Treasured in the moment, perhaps, but only opinions.

Second, events as related on these pages are subject to the failings of memory. They are recorded as honestly as I can do so, but sometimes I'm wrong. Sometimes I'm really, mortifyingly, astoundingly wrong. For example, in the story about snapping turtle soup, Charlene wrote back to me and corrected one basic misconception:
"...anyway...we never had turtle soup...mom always dredged it in flour that was seasoned with s&p, browned it in her cast iron dutch oven (wonder where that went, I could use it), then transferred it to the oven...baked till it fell off the bones. Also it had been soaked in a very heavy salt/water ahead of time...no fishy flavor!"

Obviously I got that one wrong from the beginning. It's no wonder my attempt was so pathetic. But at least she remembered the snapping turtle head on Bobby's finger.

Anyway, my memories are what they are, and the way they got remembered is the way they informed the rest of my life, my attitudes, my feelings, and my sometimes bent sense of humor. So to any of you who read this, this is my presentation of who I think I am, where I think I've been, and how I relate to the rest of the world. It's the best I can do, and I'm still having a good time doing it.



No comments: