Wednesday, November 1, 2023

"Hey, Do You Mind Pulling Out Your Little Thing?"

Yep, that was an attention grabber in the store this morning.

Even more so that the speaker's voice was in the bass range, and the voice of the one addressed was baritone.  Heads within hearing range turned.

I'd initially had my back turned, working on rearranging the contents of my cart so they'd be easier to load on the conveyor belt for check-out. Those aisles are too narrow to go through while next to my cart so I have to get in front of it and still reach - and protect - the delicate items on the little high shelf, otherwise known as the kid's seat. Before turning back to the speaker, I could see the little old lady behind me was also paying attention. We exchanged a brief mischievous smile.

The man checking out his groceries ahead of me was apparently trying to get the cashier to reach for his portable barcode reader. He needed to explain he had several large and heavy items in his cart.

Still, the lady behind me and I had a quiet chuckle about how inadvisable it was to ask another man anything about pulling out "his little thing"... in public at least.

Yeah, language fails some of us more the older we get.


No comments: