Saturday, April 8, 2023

Spring In The Desert


It's taken so long this year. We've been cold. Lots of rain though, so when opportunity presented, stuff bloomed. Having Steph down to get me out and about after so long was just the nudge I needed to go see it. 

And shoot it, of course. 

She did too, only with her cell. One of her goals in coming down was to be able to send pictures back to northern friends still stuck with snow cover showing them a place with flowers everywhere. The cactus weren't blooming yet, though they've started now. She did see a few on her last day. But those first travels were full of bushy yellow daisies, or so she called them after some internet searching, orange penstemons,  and some blue roadside rows and rows of what look like skinny lupines along with purple bushy spikes of... who knows? There were some red flowering bushes as well, and ocotillas just starting to attract hummingbirds. Desert poppies were scattered around in most places, though on our final day of touring we passed numerous roadside slopes covered with them.

Just like it's always the fish that got away that sticks in your memory, it's the shot that got away that resides in my memory. I was driving, and on the freeway with no possible way to slow down, much less pull over because the only shoulder was straight down. Climbing the other side of the valley were huge patches of poppies, broken up crazy-quilt style with equally huge patches of the blue flowers lining the roads everywhere. Saguaro and other green bits broke them up in places, but it was mostly the yellow/orange and blue. Maybe some day I'll be the passenger heading south on the 17 down into The Valley and can roll down my window and capture a dozen shots. Or maybe it requires another wet early spring, though I wouldn't ask California to repeat what it's been going through to grant us this blessing from their weather leftovers. 

At least I think I wouldn't.

Here's what my blog would let me upload for this, just the desert poppies, individuals and part of a hillside. Anything else and it balked.




I guess for more pictures I'll have to make more posts.


No comments: