Sunday, January 1, 2023

I Don't Do New Year's Resolutions

I don't. I just do not make them. They are a promise to change behavior that I've settled quite comfortably into. 

None are going to make me rich. 

None will make the people around me any better off. 

None will make me new friends. I have enough people to keep track of these days, and who I am, however others see me, new friends come along on their own somehow.

None will make me sleep better at night since the things that keep me awake - beyond too much caffeine - are when the creative juices start to flow and in the dark and quiet my brain kicks in trying to figure out what I want and how to accomplish it. Usually I do much better just going and doing it, maybe trying and failing and trying something different. Or finding somebody who has the right knowledge, experience, and skill. When I'm not possessed by some relentless fledgling idea, I sleep just fine.

I don't need to stop drinking or gambling or stealing or beating my wife. All for the same reason.

I don't need to remember to be kind and helpful and thank people because that's my standard setting. Not inviolate, just standard.

I don't need to control my temper. It's been done, and most times it operates on a long fuse delay before activating when it's useless anyway.

I don't need to go to the gym or eat different foods to change my appearance to suit other's norms, or spend either more or less on makeup and clothing to make up for my appearance because what is, is.

I suppose many of you who know me can think of resolutions  you would like me to make. You see my flaws, wish for changes to match what you'd like me to be more or less of, or do more or less often. I'll let you make your own resolutions to be more patient with me, or to find another "project." I'd hate to contribute to your frustration or sadness when your wishes aren't met by my new resolutions, presumably in your eyes followed by "the right" changes. 

But I just, simply, do not make New Years Resolutions. I'm a little busy here. And pretty damn content. 

And by the way, I'd just go and break them anyway, so what's the point?

No comments: