Sunday, September 25, 2022

Rebound!

So, I tested negative Thursday, the 22nd. Finally! First symptoms the 2nd, fever the third, positive test and ER trip for Paxlovid  the 4th. Solid quarantine, periodic tests during that time still coming out positive. Major impatience. There were places to go, errands to tend to. Some of those got tended to, albeit masked, where there were low risks of contact. I'm the only driver at the moment.

I needed that x-ray taken care of, and asked if one negative test was sufficient before showing up. I was assured one negative test worked, though the X-ray tech drilled me on any symptoms. There were none beyond the allergy symptoms I've been dealing with for over a decade. (I've lost track.) I popped into the club for a couple minutes, careful to keep a reasonable distance even though being masked. With everybody's reassurances, I went to visit my friend in hospice yesterday afternoon, still masked there just in case, as was another mutual friend. 

I've done a bit of yard work, not enough to tire me out, but enough over two days to add three bags of yard waste to the previous pick-up collection, plus more branch clippings on the ground for another time. Maybe the bunnies can eat some and reduce the load. No weeds were killed however, and two (yes, two!) letters from the homeowner's association dated the same day arrived about them. I'd been waiting for a dry forecast before spraying, but it's been very wet for here. Major storm in Gilbert, a southeastern suburb last night, 63 mph winds. Clouds are building on the horizon in multiple directions again this afternoon. Air is still muggy enough to be uncomfortable, even inside with the AC and fans going.

I postponed calling my swimming buddy to set up a date for the pool, either today or tomorrow. I did give a deputy a tour of the house, letting him know I'd just tested but would happily mask up for him if he was more comfortable that way. He declined  my offer, and spent over a hour int the house.

This morning started out as my early normal. I watched a little TV after waking, went back to bed, got up and watched a bit more, then decided to go over the tiny details I'd need to know for my jury summons Oct. 6th. I've never served, though I've been called up only to find out that we were all dismissed after several hours because everybody settled their cases. I know for this one how early to be there, where to find free parking for jurors, what to bring food-wise unless I prefer to spend serious money in a downtown restaurant, (microwave they have, 'fridge no), and how much walking to expect. I also decided a preventative dose of imodium might be in order. Getting old can be a little too interesting some days to be out in public, eh? "Uh, excuse me bailiff, but I need to leave the trial for five minutes. Right now!" That'll go over well.

I had a breakfast snack, then went back to bed again. I knocked that off to it being a coffee-free weekend, my body catching up, i.e., normal. Around noon I woke again, now with a fever. Getting a working fever thermometer had been on my shopping list, so I know my normal when well is still 97.4. This time it was 98.4, nothing anybody else would raise an eyebrow over besides me and close family. An hour later it was 100.2.

Uh-oh!

The back of the throat was acting up too, that slimy slithery mucus feeling you get with a bad cold. Or what I'd just gotten over with, covid. Definitely time for some fever reducers, and lots of internet research. Yes indeed, this could be that bounce back people talk about after Paxlovid. Somehow I'd felt sure I'd be past that after all this time. But there is one final test in the kit. Time to quit procrastinating, thinking magically if I postpone it the news won't be bad.

Back in a bit.

*     *     *     *     *

Half an hour later.... The test kit was again negative. It claims I don't have covid again. So what do I have? Do I even trust the kit? Is it the rebound, and am I just not contagious? Does anybody in the world know who can tell me before Monday?

Meanwhile I'll be avoiding people again.  Mostly. But lunch has been long delayed. Should I take my next nap before or after eating?

*     *     *     *     *

It was before. And after. The "after" nap lasted to morning, so please excuse if all the references to "today" refer to yesterday. Fever is lower, throat and sinuses still doing their thing, but I'm going to mix some weed killer and head out before it heats up. Then it'll be time for breakfast... I think. Or will I have enough energy to carry on till brunch? Oh heck, let's decide after another nap. It's still kinda dark anyway.

No comments: