Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Notes on "Downton Abbey" - The Second Movie

I wanted to go see it as soon as it came out, but decided waiting till the rush was over would be better. I'm still not fond of crowded indoor spaces, even with a mask. Then I got busy packing and everything, so Steve decided he'd send me once we got up north. There is an 8-plex theater 9 miles away.

It was my first time in an actual theater since before covid. Much has changed. The first thing I noted is that they only hold two viewings of each movie, even though it is summer. The "early" one was at 5 PM. Still, their senior discount holds all day, so it was a decent price. Once there, the lobby was empty except for one person selling both tickets and (trying to sell) refreshments. I passed on refreshments, citing my mask as why. I didn't explain I'd smuggled in a few pieces of beef jerky that we didn't consume on the trip north.

My movie was in theater 4 of 8, well towards the back. Nobody else was visible except a couple leaving, or perhaps heading for the refreshments counter. The schedule hadn't shown any movies running early enough to be getting out yet. Once inside #4, there was one person sitting up high in the back. While waiting for the previews to start (yawn) two more strolled in. We were it. Nobody sat near anybody except the pair entering together. We were all women. Go figure.

I long since discovered that PBS in Arizona and in Minnesota have different schedules for their offerings. MN even has 4 stations now to really confuse things, so a series I've been watching there isn't necessarily on or at the same episode here. There the station just held the 3rd run-through of the TV series, followed  by the first movie. We were all caught up then, and ready for their well-advertised second movie. No clue if that happened here.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, finding it much more interesting than having the cast entertaining the King and Queen like in the first movie. Time is passing and attitudes are much less hidebound, allowing more personal happiness and character development than we've yet seen. Two main stories ran side by side, both well made if somewhat predictable in places, since by now we pretty well know the characters and how they behave. It opens with a wedding, and ends with a death, and a lot of lives are settled along the way. That's all the spoilers I'll give here, in case you still want to go see it. Well, except for my favorite line in the movie when a character is firmly shushed with, "I can't even hear myself die!"

Afterwards I headed, predictably, for the bathroom. Already inside were the two women who entered together, now in adjoining stalls. As I moved into mine, I eavesdropped shamelessly on their conversation. One was doing her best to explain the previous history of some of the characters heading into the movie. A few pieces of it were even correct. I found that mildly amusing. But then one of the women had to - just absolutely had to - ask why they had to put that homosexual stuff into the movie? I bit my lip - figuratively, not craving pain on a regular basis, but didn't sing out from behind my stall.

What? Did you think they were going to cure Thomas Barrow of it like some disease? He's always been gay, having to hide who he is, making for some interesting story arcs. Now, more evidence of changing times and personal character growth, most if not all of the household know who he is and accept it. They even wish him well in finding somebody to share his life with.

I decided to wait till they left before emerging from my stall. I didn't wish to see who these women were, but just to keep enjoying the movie as I reflected on it, and letting my tears from the funeral procession dry before walking out. It was well worthy of the series.

No comments: