Thursday, June 16, 2022

Gummies!

We know that different shots haven't helped Steve's back. The implanted pain interrupter helped for a while and he still uses it and recharges it regularly, but overall that's not doing what is needed either. He's reluctant to take all the percoset he's allowed to take so he doesn't get hooked on it, but we can see his body adjusting to the increasing levels he's allowing himself by it not killing his pain and him not getting "goofy" on double pills (10mg. vs. 5) the way he would a couple years ago. Still, the pain is way too often up at the 7 to 9 levels. The trip north was hard on him, and he's been sitting or laying around since, hoping for the pain to go away. No fishing. No visits with family. No hitting the local theater for the last Jurassic park movie as we'd hoped. TV and bed, that's all, interrupted by occasional meals.

I was talking with a friend who has lots of medical issues who admitted she uses gummies for her pain. However, she just found some really cheap from the usual store where she buys hers, a big plus for her and her budget. Unfortunately the newest batch is leaving her waking up with headaches, so she decided to go get the more expensive version she'd been using side-effect free, and just toss out the headache-producing ones.

Ahah!

"So if you're just going to throw them away...."

I've heard several people swear by them either for themselves or for others who take them for pain. They recommend this clinic or that storefront, then quote me a budget busting price, at least for regular use. I get that people who can afford to rent down in AZ these days tend to have $3 grand more a month to throw around than we do with our house paid for. Those same people drive gas guzzlers and take trips and cruises as regular things, go out for evening entertainment, etc., etc. So it just hasn't been an option to go buy large bottle just to try something you have no idea whether it will work or not. So I didn't hesitate to ask my friend if she was really going to just throw her existing supply out, and would it be OK if I took them to have Steve give them a try?

We had a long discussion. They are a THC derivative, isolating the parts of the plant which specifically fight pain. They can also produce a buzz, one of the reason she cuts her disc gummies into quarters. One quarter, twice a day, takes care of her pain. Yes, you'll test positive on a drug test. Yes, they are legal. Yes, the store she buys hers at is no longer required to do business on a cash only basis. Plastic is just fine, thank you. She kept two discs for herself, enough to hold her till she can go to the store again, and gave me the rest of the package. And if these work, I can go with her and she'll get a discount for bringing in a new customer. Win win.

Now I just had to talk to Steve about trying them, see if they help the pain, and whether he also gets headaches. I start by inquiring, as I do way too often these days, how his back is doing. I get the answer I'm getting way too often these days, like all the time. So I broach the subject, show him the package, dig out one gummy to show him.

His first reaction is a knee-jerk "But you know the doctor takes blood draws all the time before I get my percoset refill and it'll show for 30 days if I try one." I remind him he won't be within the same state as his doctor for over 2 1/2 months yet, plenty of time to clear out his system. Besides, if they do work, he can simply tell his doctor he's switched and won't be asking for more percoset. The stuff is legal in AZ also, after all. So he decides to try one. Or rather, half of one. I figured that between the difference in body weight and his starting with zero in his system, plus not having taken a percoset yet that morning, it was a decent level to start. We'd get a good read on pain relief, and could pare it back if the situation called for it.

Nothing happened for about an hour. Then he announced he thought he could feel it, and the pain had dropped to about a 7. Within two more hours, he thought it was a 5. Mid afternoon it was a 4. His bedtime pill, 12 hours after the first, brought it down to a 2. Over the next 24 hours it varied between 2 and 5, mostly sitting at a 4, something very acceptable to him. No sign of any headache.

We did discover an issue. He never came to bed. Usually despite his odd sleep schedules, he's there for at least a few of the same hours I am. I checked in on him when I got up, getting ready to let him know I planned to cut him back to a quarter disc for the day's two pills, but he let me know I didn't have to. He'd already taken his morning pill. At 3AM! Not 8AM when it was due, but 3AM. So we decided I would have control of when he got them, since I'm not going to be under the influence and generally keep track of time better anyway.

I could tell he was quite under the influence most of the day, say till late afternoon. He slept. A lot. He'd be watching TV, his favorite cooking shows, and I'd look over at him. The eyes were closed for about 4/5 of the program. When I talked to him, he'd have to think about what I'd asked, and then manage to get about half way through his answer. I figured the sleep wasn't doing him any harm, as he'd not been getting a lot of it with all the pain he's been dealing with. But I was DEFINITELY cutting him back to a quarter gummy and he wasn't getting one till 8PM rolled around.

When it did, I again asked where his pain levels were. Two. But he was eating, and it often prompts him to sneeze. Suddenly his back bounced up to a 6. Luckily I had his newest cut gummy piece in my hand. He'll get the same in the  morning, If all is going well, he's looking to go fishing with his fishing buddy. It's supposed to be a lovely day, and the two of them can enjoy it for hours, presuming they are well prepared for mosquitoes, bait supplies and snacks hold out, and nobody's had too much tea or pop to prompt a reason to leave. The favorite spot is a boat landing along the St. Croix River, no outhouses supplied. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

I did find out one more interesting thing about these gummies. They can produce a contact high. I had been showing Steve a full gummy for about 5 minutes while we first discussed them. Then I took a little nap, experiencing the weirdest dreams I can recall, their primary theme being out me of control of my own body while driving the car. I was roused (thankfully) from the dream by the phone. My friend wanted to know both how Steve was doing with his dose, and could I take her to pick up one of her sons from school? A thought occurred to me, and I asked her about the possibility. She apologized for not mentioning it to me, and we both agreed she'd find a different ride right then. Just to be safe, you know. And I now know not to handle them any more than absolutely necessary, and wash my hands right afterwards.

In the time I took to write the last two paragraphs, Steve took his gummy quarter and when I asked just now, his back was down to a 4 again. This sounds promising!

No comments: