Friday, May 6, 2022

The Fun of Freaking Out A TA

I don't know his name. Never cared. But the way the university system works is the Professors teach the book stuff and get paid, and the teaching assistants are usually working on their advanced degrees and taking over the work, i.e., the labs, for points or something. I doubt it's for money. But then, this happened way back in 1976, when I was taking night extension classes at the U after work.

I waddled into organic chemistry lab in late September, my pregnant belly stretched way out to there, leading the parade that was me at the time. The TA was several years younger than I, and turned a bit white at the sight of me.  I grinned to myself. He was soooooo young!

He almost visibly gulped as I remember it, though that could be the storyteller in me that put that detail in. He hesitantly asked my when I was due.

"Yesterday" was my calm, mischevious reply. Technically it was true, as far as my official doctor was concerned. Paul was conceived on January 2nd, his father being too drunk to perform on New Year's Eve after a neighbor's party, too hungover the 1st. We were actively trying, however, now several months after having my IUD removed. So, this being child #3, this was a day after my officially assigned 9 month due date. What I knew, from previous experiences, and couldn't convince any medical person that I actually knew what I was talking about, was that I carried my babies for 10 months! All three of my pregnancies had exactly one day when conception was possible. It was a kind of hell waiting that extra month to meet Stephanie, but much easier planning for that extra month with Richard. I had plenty of time to go yet with Paul, and fully expected to be in that lab, watching that TA blanch each night I came through his door still thoroughly pregnant, in fact even more so than for the previous lab, with secret relish at his discomfort.

On October 21st, as I set my books down and bent over to open my drawer of supplies which was located at floor level, when I pulled on the handle my water broke. Just a little bit, nothing requiring a mop up, but enough to announce what was coming. I calmly shut the drawer, stood up, waddled over to where the TA was, announced I was leaving to have this baby, and could  he please tell me where in this building a phone was so I could inform my husband and midwife to meet me at the hospital?

Where he'd looked uneasy before, he now looked terrified for a moment. Then he remembered there was a working pay phone down on 1st floor. (Lab was on 3rd.) Did I need him to call me an ambulance? He was almost panicked, likely wondering if I was going to give birth right there on the floor and make him watch or even help or something.

Oh Gee, now I have to take care of this guy too? I managed to take the extra minute to reassure him that I would be fine, it was just a short walk across campus to the hospital where I was already pre-checked in. I could see he wasn't reassured, but also watched him choose to believe me and get back to teaching his lab class. I was no longer his worry. I swear he stood just a bit taller.

I made it to the phone and made my calls, by some miracle having the quarters necessary. I then started a surprisingly comfortable walk across campus to the Mayo building, then up to 5th floor. The rest of the process turned into an emergency C-section late the next afternoon, the details of which I will forgo providing, but the two or three days' absence I'd promised the TA I'd be back to class after didn't materialize. It was a hospital stay of 8 days, and a couple more at home before I showed up at chem lab again. I got a long look - aimed at the belly of course - from the TA and a comment that I'd missed a quiz and he'd thought (hoped?) maybe I'd dropped out. My prolonged absence didn't do my grade any good, but I managed to pass despite it. 

Every few years I wonder for just a moment what tales he had to tell about that pregnant lady in his lab class. And I just grin. He's probably planning his own retirement by now, possibly has his own kids, unless I scared him out of it. I just hope he grew up.

No comments: