Saturday, May 21, 2022

No Answers... But No Delays Yet

I've had this odd thing going on, a pain nobody can explain. It comes and goes, no rhyme nor reason for it that anybody can figure, so nothing they can do for it. On the plus side, there's nothing happening that should delay our northbound vacation. So at this point, it's only Steve's docs who can postpone our heading north. And we're just not that optimistic that they'll be in any rush on his behalf since they haven't been so far.

I was in to see my cardiologist earlier this week, along with the guy who pops in with his suitcase of technology to check out my pacemaker. It was a special visit for him, called in to coincide with an annual report from the cardiologist after an echo, aka sonogram of the heart. The latter is just fine. (They love my blood pressure too.)

The reason for calling in the pacemaker tech was that this odd pain is happening in that area. It's hard to describe, except that it's sharp but mild, steady but intermittent. Confused? So are we. It occurs under the skin but outside the ribcage, in the area where the pacemaker sits. I describe it as sharp in the sense that it's not the dull muscle ache type of thing, very localized in either of two locations, about an inch away from the corners of the pacemaker, to my upper left or lower right. It's steady in that it doesn't pulse, like something directly connected to the heart beat. I've gotten that kind of pain before here and there, often connected with an infection and the pulse pushing on the tender area. This isn't that. My first thought when it started happening a few months back is that a teensy bit of current is leaking from its leads, or something similar. I can feel it if I gently press on the chest in either location, and it starts in faintly several seconds later and builds a bit. It can last half a minute or a couple hours. I can be sitting still watching TV or working on my laptop and not touching the affected area at all even though that can precipitate it. 

While the pacemaker is being tested absolutely nothing abnormal shows up on his equipment. In fact, he finds its activity to be totally normal for what it's doing, kicking in a few beats here and there, still needed fairly rarely over the course of months. There is no indication of any excess current being drained off, so they have no worries about "springing me" for travel. This even after I defined "north" as Minnesota, not just, say, Flagstaff. So far as they are concerned, it's a non event. Even though its event is increasing in frequency. It's just like taking your car in to the mechanic and it refuses to act up until after you drive away.

We discussed other possibilities. Could I be reacting to some material in the pacer or its leads? I have a nickel allergy after all. It's why I have titanium knees rather than stainless steel. It my body fighting some part of it? Not their field of expertise, of course. Also not something they have any concern over. Neither do I, or not seriously, knowing the pacer is doing its thing and the pain isn't severe. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Now it's time to start making those lists for packing: clothes, meds, dog needs, electronics, supplies for projects to be worked on up north. Then things to do here before leaving, like bug destruction while they try to invade in our absence. Things to stock up on.  What not to shop for  because we can't eat it before turning the fridge/freezer off. (I hate throwing out food, from leftovers to condiments.) Things to pack. Notices to send out for address changes including absentee (primary) ballots, credit card renewals which don't get forwarded but happen during traveling months, and of course for regular mail. Route planning - depending on where fires pop up at the last minute and which roads are blocked. Motels to book: see route planning. And most important for any scheduling, see what Steve's doc has to say. That's next week.

Right now it's breakfast time.

No comments: