Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Whirlwind

Live can change so quickly. For a while there is no particular news, then good news, then great news, then... tears. 

A few weeks ago we learned that a new great grandchild was expected. It's the second from that couple, and we're still looking forward to meeting the first. We've just never been in the same state at the same time. The newest child was expected to arrive before we went to their state for the fancy wedding of another family couple, giving us even more joy to celebrate this fall.

Unknown to me, given how busy everything has been lately, yesterday the news came through to Steve that the pregnancy was twins! I would have loved to celebrate that. But this afternoon, after Steve had left the room for a few hours of sleep, I answered a call asking for our prayers. The mom-to-be had just been dropped off at the hospital with symptoms that screamed to me, "miscarriage." I still hadn't heard about the twins yet, but Steve filled me in later this afternoon when I filled him in on the call. A little while ago we got the unhappy confirmation.

We're sad, of course. Although, those two new family members hadn't gotten real for us yet. No hearing about morning sickness, no watching a tummy bulge, no feeling a foot kick, no shopping for the new little one(s). We imagine the grief and pain the parents are going through, each putting ourselves in their place. For them it was very real, every minute of it. I really can't compare my miscarriage to this, as I hadn't even known I was pregnant yet when mine happened, and never needed medical intervention. I loved and wanted the babies I did have, and would have been devastated to have known I was pregnant but I'd lost one. Not to mention two, even if only living with that possibility for a day.

They are young, just starting as a family, and have - depending on the reasons behind the miscarriage- likely many more chances to grow their family. Two babies at once along with a toddler would have been a lot of stress, not just during pregnancy with the possibility of required bed rest and premature births, but the extra sleep loss, childcare required, and financial burdens. Luckily the couple are near one set of grandparents for help with any children, but those are both still working and unable to be a constant help. So it's tempting to think it might have been a "blessing in disguise."

I'm sure right now all any of them see is the tragedy.

No comments: